Shouldn't "Refresh automatically when files change" exclude the contents of the .gitignore file?

Any idea on when SourceTree will no longer refresh every time something covered by the ignore file changes?

Right now this can turn the application unusable until certain processes have finished writing to a file that's not even worth bothering about anyway.

3 answers

1 accepted

Currently SourceTree for Windows will still refresh on all changed files even if they are part of .gitignore. SourceTree is just listening for file changes.

Keeping track of all the .gitignore (global and local) changes and filtering the events will need a clever cache because reading the ignore files every time would be far too slow with the number of file events that come through, this is why it hasn't been done yet but it is being in the following report:

I like the idea, but I don't know that SourceTree itself uses the .gitignore file. Almost all of its operations are git commands, and those git commands take the ignore file into account. Obviously whatever process watches for changes is an exception.

You may file a bug report or feature request on support.atlassian.com, and post the link here. If you do so, I'll vote it up.

Thanks1 It's not yet a solution, but this should get us one step further.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

269 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot