Shouldn't "Refresh automatically when files change" exclude the contents of the .gitignore file?

Michael Zock March 17, 2014

Any idea on when SourceTree will no longer refresh every time something covered by the ignore file changes?

Right now this can turn the application unusable until certain processes have finished writing to a file that's not even worth bothering about anyway.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
RicardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2014

Currently SourceTree for Windows will still refresh on all changed files even if they are part of .gitignore. SourceTree is just listening for file changes.

Keeping track of all the .gitignore (global and local) changes and filtering the events will need a clever cache because reading the ignore files every time would be far too slow with the number of file events that come through, this is why it hasn't been done yet but it is being in the following report:

1 vote
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2014

I like the idea, but I don't know that SourceTree itself uses the .gitignore file. Almost all of its operations are git commands, and those git commands take the ignore file into account. Obviously whatever process watches for changes is an exception.

You may file a bug report or feature request on support.atlassian.com, and post the link here. If you do so, I'll vote it up.

0 votes
Michael Zock March 18, 2014

Thanks1 It's not yet a solution, but this should get us one step further.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events