Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short Description: SourceTree takes 100% disk usage

Mangesh Chougule January 11, 2021

On my windows 10 desktop, SourceTree takes 100% disk usage most of the times. As a result, my development system has become unusable. I have tried all sorts of things but nothing seems to help. Can a case be opened with Atlassian to get to the bottom of this ASAP? Without a fix from Atlassian or a workaround, I am unable to do any development

I have done a lot of debugging related to SourceTree and why it is hogging the disk. I have added exclusions in Windows Defender for it, changed some of its settings, changed to use system git (instead of embedded) after getting the latest version etc. Nothing seems to help. Once I launch SourceTree, disk usage goes to 100% and stays there for a very long time (more than 45 minutes). Once it settles down and I perform any operation, SourceTree is back to 100% and stays there again for a long time. I do not want to try the usual reinstall SourceTree or any such thing. What will be helpful is to open a case with Atlassian and get their input on what could cause SourceTree to see such a high disk usage which makes using this application unusable.

1 answer

3 votes
Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2021

Hi @Mangesh Chougule ,

This is a Git problem rather than a SourceTree one. There are two solutions to this problem

1. Ignore the files you don't want
  2. Use the 'Show Modified' filter - this is the same as 'Show Pending' except it omits untracked files.

It's a Git performance problem from the looks of it.

You can check the problem in the task manager. It will be with the name git.exe or similar which was using 100% of your CPU!

Regards,

Soumyadeep

Mangesh Chougule January 12, 2021

Thanks Sandeep for the response

if possible could you please expand more on this... with screenshot options.

Like Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM likes this
Mangesh Chougule January 12, 2021

All files are ignored already using .gitignore. There are no other such files.

Using the show modified v/s pending will make no difference. Plus, that is only in the “File Status” workspace. Also, modified will not show newly added files, so that is not a filter anyone should be using in any event.

Please help here

Like Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM likes this
Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2021

Hi @Mangesh Chougule ,

Due to lots of notifications, I miss some of the notifications. So I was late to reply!

The problem was with git. This issue was there 5 years ago and it's still here. This issue can happen with any software that uses git like VS code, Github, etc.

I can only suggest you do a clean install:

1. Uninstall SourceTree using Windows UnInstall program
  2. Backup then delete the directories below before proceeding with the next step:
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local and delete SourceTree folder (if any)
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Atlassian and delete all SourceTree folders.
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Atlassian and delete SourceTree* folder
  3. Download SourceTree and install it

Regards,

Soumyadeep

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events