Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Sourcetree when local copies of repo exist

OC2PS July 14, 2014

A Sourcetree newbie needs help :-P

So, I have been using Github and have several repos on it. I plan to start creating all my new repos on Bitbucket, but plan to keep the old ones on Github, at least for a while.

Been using Github for Windows, which has a slick interface, but is very basic in terms of features. So I figured, well, maybe I'll just use SourceTree for Windows for both my Github and Bitbucket repos.

Downloaded, installed Sourcetree. Used Setup Wizard so it can log into my Github and Bitbucket repos.

The problem is I'm not sure how to tell Sourcetree that I already have local copies of the repos, and where they are located.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2014
  1. Make sure the bookmark bar is open (CTRL+B makes it appear/disappear, you can press that a couple of times to locate it. Should be on the left side, white background.)
  2. In the bottom of the bookmark bar, there are a few icons. Press the leftmost one ("database" icon with a "+" on it, tooltip says Add repository).
  3. In the dialog that comes up, switch to the "Add working copy" tab and locate the folder where your clone is.
0 votes
OC2PS July 14, 2014

Thanks for the detailed response. Followed your instructions and added working copy. How can I ensure that this working copy is connected to the correct Github repo?

Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2014

If it was connected before, it is still connected. (The definition of the remote(s) is a property of the clone, stored in the .git folder and does not change with the client you use.)

If you want to double-check, you can open the repository settings and see the address there. ("Settings" button on the top right; you need to open the bookmark first.)

OC2PS July 14, 2014

Awesome! Thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events