Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSH Auth fails with Bitbucket

Dan Coleman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 1, 2021

I followed the instructions to create a SSH keypair through Sourcetree, by going to Options -> Accounts, and adding my account.  I then added the public key to my Bitbucket account.  Authentication always fails:

Permission denied (publickey).

fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights

and the repository exists.

I tried adding the key via ssh-add, and I can authenticate fine with it on the command line.  It just doesn't work in Sourcetree.  There's no way for me to use SSH to access my Bitbucket account.  Running "ssh -Tv git@bitbucket.org" shows that it is correctly using the generated key to log in.

This is happening on version 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 on macOS.  I was able to get SSH working fine with a PuTTy key on Windows.

1 answer

0 votes
Dan Coleman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 1, 2021

I can even execute the exact command that Sourcetree says it is executing on the command line, and not get any errors:

git --no-optional-locks -c color.branch=false -c color.diff=false -c color.status=false -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false -c credential.helper=sourcetree fetch origin

But in Sourcetree, it throws the publickey auth failure every time.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events