Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repository tabs close constantly when performing git functions

Peter Walker December 21, 2018

I have several local repositories. With Sourcetree 3.0.12 (I installed it about a week ago), the product has become unusable. I previously had 2.6.10 (I just reverted to it).

When I perform any action that will cause a git action (select a different branch, do a fetch, try to push or pull), there is a 50% branch the current tab will close. Operations in sourcetree all take on the order of minutes to complete in the first place, now that the tab I'm actively using closes, I'm forced to spend even more minutes to re-open the tab. Of course the next time I perform a git action, there's another 50% chance it will close again.

How did 3.0.x break so badly?

1 answer

0 votes
Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2019

If I had to guess -- is the repository on a network drive? If it isn't then you probably have an extremely slow HDD or something is causing your HDD access times to be more than 5 seconds for a simple "does this folder exist" check. If that check takes more than 5 seconds we consider it to be invalid and close the repository.

To help us figure out this issue try doing a repository benchmark. Go to "Repository > Benchmark Repo Performance" and upload that file here. Thanks.

Peter Walker January 3, 2019

The repository is cloned local, but I have the misfortune of having an aggressive security posture deployed to my development machine. Sigh.

This means that McAfee AND CarbonBlack (and others) consume huge amounts of processor cycles regularly. SourceTree was slow with 2.x because of this, but now with 3.x SourceTree is completely unusable with it closing tabs.

The workaround appears to be adding more CPU to reduce the impact of the security posture. Translation: workstation upgrade ordered.

Thanks for the reply!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events