Remte Branch is Blank When Pushing Local Branch

Joshua Van Nuys September 23, 2019

As you can see in the picture, when I try to perform an initial push, the Remote Branch is blank and the drop down does not contain a selection that matches my local branch. If I type out the local branch name under remote branch, I'm told the following error:

The Remote branch '' (Local branch = 'dev-4431456-XXXXX') is invalid. Ref names must follow git ref-format rules: https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-check-ref-format.html
Completed with errors, see above.

SourceTree Push.png

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 26, 2019

Hi Joshua,

Check out the following Bug report for this behavior, but its pointed out in the comments that this only seems to occur on system GIT, and embedded GIT corrects the issue:

I find that this behavior is issued only if I use system git (right now I have 2.21.0).

If I switch to embedded git (2.20.1) and restart sourcetree, it's all fine: anytime I open the Pull window I see all branches without pressing "Refresh" button.

Sourcetree version: 3.1.2 (216)

The Bug report can be seen here:

Please check this out and let us know if you are seeing the same behavior.

Regards,
Earl

Joshua Van Nuys September 27, 2019

Hi Earl, Thanks for the response.

This could be it, but using the update option under Tools > Git  > Git Version does not update me past version embedded version 2.21.0. Am I missing something to get this up to 2.20.1?

Joshua Van Nuys September 27, 2019

Update: I installed Git on system to 2.23.0 and switched SourceTree to system, no change to the push dialogue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events