Remote repository no longer accessible

Jennifer Stander December 20, 2021

Everything was fine and then I tried to clone a new repository today and there is a red X on my user name in the Remote window. 

When I hover over it it says...

Unable to read memberships for the user from the remote host

Failed to list teams for user (my user name)

This endpoint has been removed. 

I can go to the clone window and clone the repository from there by hand. 

Please advise on how to fix. 

17 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
ChrisRogersWebDev January 12, 2022

Solution: This bug has been fixed in Sourcetree 3.4.8.

Although, for some reason, the website still lists the 3.4.7 version for Windows. Here's a direct link to the Windows 3.4.8 exe until they fix the link on the website.

Here are the release notes for 3.4.8.

Actually, updating to version 3.4.8 prevents the list of repos from loading entirely and now the program crashes at startup, so don't do that. Use the 3.4.7 workaround below until an actual fix is released.

Solution:

After updating to version 3.4.7, click the "Refresh" button next to your list of repos and it should call the new API instead of attempting to use the old broken one.

Other possible workarounds:

1. Update Sourcetree to version 3.4.7
  2. Go to Remote > "Edit Accounts" and delete your saved accounts.
  3. Close Sourcetree
  4. Restart your computer
  5. Open Sourcetree
  6. Go to Remote > "Add an account"
  7. In the dialog window that appears, choose your host and add your credentials (if you're using basic authentication, be sure to enter your username rather than your email address, otherwise you'll get a cryptic error message)
  8. Click "Refresh OAuth Token" or "Refresh Password"
  9. On the list of repos, click "Refresh".
Alan Karna January 17, 2022

For the record, I'm having this problem, and I just started with version 3.4.7 that I just installed today, never had an earlier one. The "refresh" workaround appears to work, BUT, I have to do it EVERY SINGLE TIME I start the program.

That's still very broken to me and should be addressed.

Like Christopher Wolf likes this
ChrisRogersWebDev January 17, 2022

@Alan Karna - Darn, looks like you're right. Thankfully it only take a few seconds to refresh, but that's really something that Atlassian needs to fix.

Like Alan Karna likes this
2 votes
mattandrews December 31, 2021

This looks like a breaking bug - the Bitbucket API endpoint has changed but SourceTree has not been updated to match.  I don't think there's anything we can do until SourceTree is updated or the API is modified.

Personally I'm going to look around for a new Git client.

After updating to version 3.4.7, click the "Refresh" button next to your list of repos and it should call the new API instead of attempting to use the old broken one.

Like # people like this
Maximiliano Renato Rojas Maureira February 2, 2022

Thanks a lot!
Yesterday was a frustrating first day due to this bug

1 vote
michaeloerskov January 5, 2022

Facing the same problem. 

Am I the only one that find it extremely unprofessional, that they would deprecate their API, but not change it in their own software? 

Luckily it's easy to migrate repositories to Githhub, takes a couple of minutes a piece, so that's what we'll be doing. 

Thankfully, the workaround appears to be simple. Update Sourcetree to version 3.4.7 and then click Refresh next to your list of repos, at which point it should start using the new API endpoint.

JohnnysSqlAddiction January 28, 2022

Updating to 3.4.7 worked for me.  My 2 cents...

0 votes
jeffrey_a_king March 3, 2022

Just upgraded both of my machines to 3.4.8, problem is gone. The remote repositories now auto-populate without having to click on Refresh. Woo hoo!

ChrisRogersWebDev March 3, 2022

Unfortunately, this appears to have made the program even worse on my end.

The repo list still won't load and I now have to uncheck and recheck the checkbox instead of just clicking "Refresh".

Also, the program now frequently crashes at startup, so I'm going to have to revert to 3.4.7 for now...

0 votes
Adam Blodgett March 1, 2022

Anyone else still getting this error on their Mac?

I'm on version 4.1.6 and I still can't create or clone remote repos.

Adam Blodgett March 1, 2022

I was able to work around this by switch from OAuth/SSH to Basic/HTTPS. Not ideal, but at least it's working.

0 votes
Francisk Rae February 18, 2022

How do I understand this tool is abandoned?
Judging by the dates on the messages, this critical bug has not been resolved for so long.
This is my first time using git, and I wanted to work with GUI right away, so as not to waste time memorizing console commands, this tool was advised to me as the best option for a beginner, under Windows, but i realizing that it is probably better to start with another one.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2022

No, it had a bug that affected some people using it.  Later versions fixed it (you can't call it "abandoned" if new versions with bug fixes are being released)

ChrisRogersWebDev February 18, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- - To clarify, the solution that I posted above (the one that you accepted) is just a reliable workaround for the immediate problem but doesn't fix the underlying bug that's still present in the program.

The latest version of Sourcetree (3.4.7) still requires you to regularly click the "Refresh" button due to the broken API calls that haven't been fixed after over three months. This is something that Atlassian needs to address and the lack of an official response after all this time hasn't been reassuring. So while the program may not be truly abandoned, it's definitely not a good look that it doesn't currently work right out of the box.

Francisk Rae February 19, 2022

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about, the first report of this (or similar?) error was more than a year ago, and since then there has not been an update to fix it, usually this is the case in abandoned applications. The release date of the penultimate version (3.4.6): 13-Aug-2021 is more than a year ago. I can't see the release date of the latest version in the version archive.

But in general, this is not so important, how important is the fact that many users can still use the program, which means I need help to explain to me how to set it up so that it starts working normally?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2022

Er, all I was pointing out was that the software is not "abandoned", and I don't have the issue.  I am a light user though, so I might not have seen it.  I'm not commenting on whether there is a bug here or not.

0 votes
Karlstens January 7, 2022

Updating manually to the latest Sourcetree fixed this issue for me (ver 3.4.7). If you still have a red cross on your Avatar icon, re-check the pop-up tooltip error, it might be a secondary issue and not the original issue discussed here.

jeffrey_a_king January 7, 2022

After updating to 3.4.7.0, I still get the red X overlay with no repositories shown. Here is the tooltip I see:

SourceTree.jpg

Clicking on Refresh will then show the repositories.

Sorry, I should clarify - I've cleared the first error "Unable to read memberships for the user from the remote host" and am now just getting the "Failed to list teams for user" which I'm continuing to troubleshooting to resolve.

Edit: Ahh, found the problem - you need to deselect "Show Organization Repos" tickbox. Easy!

Like ma_arizag likes this
jeffrey_a_king January 10, 2022

For me, that does make the red X overlay go away, but the repositories are still not shown. With "Show Organizational Repos" unchecked, clicking on Refresh does not show them.

Arnoud de Bekker January 11, 2022

I have this issue as well, it won't list my remote repos when I deselect show organization repos. But when i selected it again and refreshed it worked

Like Bitman32 likes this

It looks like you just have to click the "Refresh" button next to the list of repos. The checkbox doesn't seem to matter.

0 votes
Jarrod McGuire December 30, 2021

Any suggestions? I am using sourcetree 3.4.7 on a new PC and 3.4.6 on my laptop. It used to work on the laptop, then stopped working, strangely enough at the same time as when I tried to install sourcetree on the new PC. Gives the message "Failed to list teams for user [username] This endpoint has been removed"

jeffrey_a_king December 30, 2021

I have no idea why, but when I got both of my laptops on 3.4.7, it magically worked. When I try to add a remote repository, it still shows an X overlay over my avatar and no repositories listed. But, when I click on Refresh, the overlay goes away and the repositories appear.

Like ChrisRogersWebDev likes this
Jarrod McGuire December 30, 2021

Holy sh*t! My avatar had the red X, and then I pressed refresh like you said and magically the red X was removed and all the repos were listed.

Had to work out some credential helper section thing, but it seems to work now.

Thanks very much!

Like ChrisRogersWebDev likes this
jeffrey_a_king December 30, 2021

I have no idea what the root cause was/is.  This cost me days of time and worry. Manually getting both laptops on 3.4.7 magically got it working for me. Every time I start SourceTree, it will still show  the red X overlay, but I can live with it.

Glad it helped someone.

ncapp_merlin December 30, 2021

the red x has now magically disappeared for me ?! It would be nice to get an explanation from Atlassian, has eaten up a lot of people's time.

Like Christopher Wolf likes this
0 votes
Alexey December 26, 2021

Even though it said program had the latest version, this was not correct. Once I updated from 3.3 to 3.4 it started to work properly.

jeffrey_a_king December 28, 2021

I had the same problem for days. Tools / Options / Updates reported SourceTree was up to date on version 3.3. Went to Atlassian site and manually downloaded and installed 3.4.7, problem went away.

Ian Anderson December 28, 2021

We updated and it did not resolve the issue.

0 votes
Suvikram Duvvuru December 25, 2021

facing the same 

0 votes
ncapp_merlin December 22, 2021

fyi same problem

0 votes
Ian Anderson December 21, 2021

FYI, experiencing the same problem too.

0 votes
jmueller_millemedia December 21, 2021

It now works. Didn't change anything. I'm still on Sourcetree version 3.4.7.0

Looks like they changed something online.

0 votes
Rafael Cuenca Guerra December 21, 2021

same problem

0 votes
jmueller_millemedia December 21, 2021

same problem

0 votes
Narasimhulu_Boyilla December 21, 2021

FYI, I am also experiencing the same problem too, Can you please suggest the solution?

0 votes
stuart_oreilly December 20, 2021

FYI, experiencing the same problem too.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events