Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebase/stash not working after enabling GPG signing

AlecRust April 11, 2016

I've enabled GPG commit signing on the command line, and manually enabled via the "Repository Settings" section of SourceTree for each repo:

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 15.12.48.png

If I manually select "Sign commit" each time SourceTree correctly signs my commits:

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 15.16.48.png

However any other operation like stash or rebase doesn't seem to include the GPG options in the command and I get the following "gpg: cannot open `/dev/tty': Device not configured" error:

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 15.18.41.png

I see you even have a support article about this, but the proposed solution is enabling GPG signing in SourceTree which I've already done.

5 answers

3 votes
Aditya Sanghi May 21, 2016
git config --global gpg.program gpg2

This maybe your answer.

AlecRust May 21, 2016

Thanks for your answer Aditya, I'm afraid I already have this set in my config though.

ahmed_hassanein May 11, 2020

thanks!!

Scott Menzer August 17, 2020

this did the trick for me, thanks!

2 votes
noplanman June 17, 2016

Remove the gpgsign attribute in the [commit] section of your .gitconfig if it's there.

This solved it for me.

AlecRust June 17, 2016

Won't that just disable GPG signing of commits by default? I'd like to keep this on, and think SourceTree should respect it.

noplanman June 17, 2016

I have to manually select "Sign Commit" in SourceTree anyways, even with the attribute enabled.

So I think it only takes effect for commits done via Terminal. Have you restarted SourceTree after modifying the config?

AlecRust June 29, 2016

I have, and SourceTree doesn't respect this global git default. I'd rather not remove this since I want all commits to be signed - SourceTree should improve its GPG support.

noplanman July 22, 2016

Absolutely, it would make more sense for them to enhance the software to respect the standards.

Honestly, I've stopped using stashes because of this issue, which is really annoying :-/ The workaround I proposed above is NOT viable at all.

Please Atlassian, make SourceTree work better with GPG!

edit: Check this out, worked perfectly for me!
https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/38060409/answers/38398747

AlecRust July 22, 2016

@Armando Lüscher thank you for finding that and letting me know!!

0 votes
Matúš Kmiť June 24, 2016

I confirm that I am having same issue with rebasing.

+1

0 votes
AlecRust June 17, 2016

Nope, I'm still having this issue. Please upvote/share to get it noticed!

0 votes
noplanman June 16, 2016

I'm having the same issue.

Disabling the key signing for the repository also doesn't help, I can't stash anything any more!

Any news on this?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events