It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Quickly Compare local commits and Remote commits

When I use Git by Git Bash,

I normally always log in to my Bitbucket, go to the repository on the web, have a look at commits history.

And then I'd like to have a look at my local git commits using "Git Log".

By comparing them, I can have a general idea of how behind or how advanced my local compared to the remote. 

This information can give me more confidence before I proceed to do any commit, push, or pull operation.

Is there a quick way in Source Tree to do the above operation? Or I still need to go to the web to check the remote commits and compare that to "History" in the SourceTree?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

hi @Gen_Li ,

Why don't you use the command line, the git status command?

➜ my-project: git status
On branch master
Your branch is behind 'origin/master' by 2 commits, and can be fast-forwarded.
(use "git pull" to update your local branch)

nothing to commit, working tree clean

Hi there,

I use git status to get information about the difference between my current working files and the latest local commit. But I am looking for a way to compare the local commit and remote commit in source tree GUI.

Sometimes I work on my local code slowly, let say about 1 month, and during this time, I never pull. Meanwhile, there're lots of things that happened on the remote side. People have pushed several commits to it. In this scenario, I always manually go online and have a look at the remote commits, then I can decide whether should I pull directly or do a stash or do a reset..etc.

Maybe I am doing a bad practice then.. But that's why I am asking the question tho

Like Bloompeak Support likes this

But you are right, git status always gives you enough information through...... I was just want to have a look at the commits in detail.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Sourcetree

Sourcetree for Windows - CVE-2019-11582 - Remote Code Execution vulnerability

A vulnerability has been published today in regards to Sourcetree for Windows.  The goal of this article is to give you a summary of information we have gathered from Atlassian Community as a st...

4,004 views 0 11
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you