Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems installing sourcetree 3 or any new version

ken
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 21, 2019

This problem is maybe old or someone else already asked about it. However I havent found any solution to this problem neither from the customer support or the community.

I will try to explain all the steps that I did to install sourcetree.

1. First time 

I downloaded the newest version (currently 3) from the official page https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/ 

I tried to install it in my computer which has win 10 (64bits) , I run the exe file and when it was running it shows a message that I needed Microsoft Net(framework?) updates in order to continue the installation . I looked for the updates and download them.

I tried again to install it but same error.

After this I tried to look for a solution here and other websites which suggested to used an older version of the software so I looked for it and download it.

2. time

This time I installed 1.7 version of SourceTree , it was successfully installed. I used it but after some weeks it stop and showed me a windows to "register your license" . I tried to download the free license from y attlasian account but when I pressed the download link it always showed me a 404 page error.

So ..I contact the support team about this. They just tell me to download again the software from the official website.

I did again.

3. time

I tried to install the new version but now, it doesnt even open the installer. I click on the installer , it shows the animation of the logo few seconds and then dissapear. Nothing else.

So...whats happening?

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2019

Hi Ken, welcome to the Community!

The version you were using in your second attempt is quite old, Sourcetree doesn't need to get licenses anymore, all you need is to register it with your Atlassian account. I'm assuming that during your second attempt you didn't try to update to the newest version, so here's what I'd do:

1. Wipe Sourcetree preferences.
  2. Backup then delete the directory below before proceeding with next step
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local and delete SourceTree & SourceTree-Settings folder
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Atlassian and delete all SourceTree Files/Folder.
  3. Uninstall SourceTree (if it shows on the App&Features list).
  4. Make sure Internet Explorer is updated to the latest version (Sourcetree relies on it for the authentication step)
  5. Download SourceTree and install it. 

If it doesn't work, repeat the steps above but instead of installing the newest version, install the version that previously worked for you (1.7, you can find it in our archive) and then update from within the application. 

Let us know if this helped you!

Kind regards,

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events