Problems continuing a rebase after resolving conflicts in SourceTree.

I am attempting to Cherry Pick a series of commits from my development branch into a hotfix branch. On the 5th commit, there were conflicts in one of the files. I resolved the conflicts (Resolve using "Theirs") and then attempted to commit the now staged changes. Sourcetree helpfully recognized that I had been in the middle of a rebase and asked if I wanted to continue. When I said yes, it attempted to but couldn't, saying "It looks like git-am is in progress. Cannot rebase.". Is there any way to handle this in SourceTree? I get the same message when I try to abort the rebase. Thanks.

1 answer

As I understood, you did these steps (within SourceTree (ST), but I will examplify with git commands):

git cherry-pick c1 (c1=commit 1)
OK (a commit was automatically created by Git)

git cherry-pick c2
OK

git cherry-pick c3
OK

git cherry-pick c4
OK

git cherry-pick c5
Conflict!
You fixed conflicts, staged them and tried to:
git commit
ST saying something about you being in middle of rebase...

Did I understand you correctly?

At what time did you start rebasing and why?

Btw, there is another bug in ST related to this where the commit msg is not filled in correctly (it's empty) after a conflict when cherry-picking (same after a conflict when reverting). I reported it here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-570

/Magnus

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

273 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot