No password prompt - SourceTree Git

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2013

SourceTree does not prompt me for usernames or passwords when cloning a remote Git repository.

I am running SourceTree 0.9.0.5 for Windows 7.

I have tried source URLs of the following forms:

ssh://git.example.com/path/to/repo/repo.git

ssh://user@git.example.com/path/to/repo/repo.git

ssh://user:pass@git.example.com/path/to/repo/repo.git

None of these initiate any sort of prompt. As soon as I move focus out of the source input, it thinks, the details say "fatal: Could not read from remote repository. Please make sure you have the correct access rights and the repository exists".

I can perform all git operations against the same URLs with Msysgit's git bash interface.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2013

Right now you need to use SSH keys to use the SSH protocol, which is the default for most SSH hosts like Bitbucket and GitHub. Manual password prompting is only supported for HTTPS URLs right now.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2013

Not the answer I was hoping to hear, but it does answer the question definitively.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2013

We didn't have this explicitly tracked so I've created an improvement request for it: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-424

0 votes
Mikael Grön August 6, 2013

Ah, great news! :)

0 votes
Mikael Grön August 6, 2013

In the meantime you can try an expect script instead! That'll let you set the ssh password in the script.

More information here: http://bash.cyberciti.biz/security/expect-ssh-login-script/

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2013

Thanks, but actually this has since been resolved and you can use manual passwords if your server supports them now. :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events