No password prompt - SourceTree Git

SourceTree does not prompt me for usernames or passwords when cloning a remote Git repository.

I am running SourceTree 0.9.0.5 for Windows 7.

I have tried source URLs of the following forms:

ssh://git.example.com/path/to/repo/repo.git

ssh://user@git.example.com/path/to/repo/repo.git

ssh://user:pass@git.example.com/path/to/repo/repo.git

None of these initiate any sort of prompt. As soon as I move focus out of the source input, it thinks, the details say "fatal: Could not read from remote repository. Please make sure you have the correct access rights and the repository exists".

I can perform all git operations against the same URLs with Msysgit's git bash interface.

3 answers

1 accepted

Right now you need to use SSH keys to use the SSH protocol, which is the default for most SSH hosts like Bitbucket and GitHub. Manual password prompting is only supported for HTTPS URLs right now.

Not the answer I was hoping to hear, but it does answer the question definitively.

We didn't have this explicitly tracked so I've created an improvement request for it: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-424

In the meantime you can try an expect script instead! That'll let you set the ssh password in the script.

More information here: http://bash.cyberciti.biz/security/expect-ssh-login-script/

Thanks, but actually this has since been resolved and you can use manual passwords if your server supports them now. :)

Ah, great news! :)

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

800 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you