Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newb: Setting up a Sourcetree/Acquia Dev Desktop environment *locally*

Smartin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 12, 2018

I'm very new to Drupal 8 development, although I have built a number of D6/7 sites...

D8 seems to require Composer in many cases. Composer is *entirely* new to me and I'm finding that I'm breaking sites very easily whilst I'm experimenting with it. Therefore I'd like to have a GIT safetynet where I can roll back any disasters!

I want to avoid any cloud services like GitHub for the moment and work entirely locally on my Mac.

I use the Acquia Dev Desktop to create my original sites and provide the working environment. This means that I can't move the original folder once the site is created in the first instance.

How do I set up Sourcetree in this environment?

I think I have set up a new Repo, using the folder the original D8 installation was made into.

Given that this is in effect also the 'Live server' is this a good idea? If not, how else do I set things up?

Do I create a 'Branch' as my fallback 'Safetynet' and then revert to this if disaster strikes?

I'm altogether a bit at a loss on how to start...

Simon

1 answer

1 vote
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 7, 2018

Hi Smartin,

Are you using Git already? The first step would be to convert your code to a Git repository, you can do that following this tutorial.

Once you start using Git, you already have a safety net. Note that Sourcetree doesn't provide an extra layer of security or anything like that, Sourcetree is basically a graphical interface for Git so you don't need to use the terminal. You can also read Get started with Sourcetree.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events