Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple users on one computer Sourcetree problem

Otto Kalliomäki October 12, 2017

Hello!
We are having a slight issue. We have multiple users on a single computer where we so development, using BitBucket. We have downloaded Sourcetree for version control, however the installer file always installs the app for the individual user under each users' app folder.
This means we have to install the software and download the embedded source for multiple times for each user. 
Is there any workaround to this?
Secondly, when cloning our git from Bitbucket through the Sourcetree app, the program asks for the location of our local git. 
How will version control work if multiple users are using the same location?

Thank you for any insight!

Otto

2 answers

0 votes
PrezesE May 13, 2021

I have a simmilari issue but I'm using one bitbucket account on two diffferent user accounts on single machine and I'd like to have single location of repositories for both accounts, is it possible?
moreover I'd like those repositories to share their remotes

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 13, 2017

Hi Otto, yes Sourcetree gets installed in %localappdata%\SourceTree\app-{VERSION}\ so that means it has to be installed for every user. There's no workaround for this as this is how it's expected to work, every individual user needs to register the product with their Atlassian account. Nevertheless, there's a feature request to allow changing the location of the Sourcetree installation, you can find it at SRCTREEWIN-5231.

Regarding your second question, you're all using the same computer but have different user profiles so I assume you're working in different copies of the project, is this correct? If so, it will work on the same way as if each of you were working on a different machine.

Hope that answers your questions! Let us know if you need anything else :)

Regards,

Ana

John Swan January 15, 2018

We have a similar situation to above. The only difference being we are working upon the same copy of the project. 

We are using sourcetree upon an asp.net iis website.  The machine in question is a test machine. We use this machine to pull down some code from a branch and have a user test this before merging it back into master and therefore live. 

In this scenario, sourcetree is using the previous users credentials. If I were to modify sourcetree to use my credentials the next user would be prompted to use my credentials and not their own. I would of thought an install using the users APPDATA would use the users credentials?

Like Emily Zlab likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events