Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving my branch back in time

Michael ONeil September 6, 2019

We had our project at a good, solid spot.  Then I made a couple of commit/pushes with things that it turns out we don't want to have, so I want to move the branch back to a previous push and have all the pushes that came after go away permanently.  I tried right-clicking on the spot I wanted and selecting "Reset current branch to this commit" based on some answers I saw online.  Unfortunately this didn't work as it appears that it only moved my current working spot to that commit but says I'm 3 commits behind.  Those 3 commits are the ones I want deleted so that my currently selected commit will be the latest one ("Puzzle 2 for testing").  Is there a way to do this?  See attached screenshot for what happens after I used the Reset command.

repo.PNG

1 answer

0 votes
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2019

How about using command line and doing git-reset

It will make your local code and local history be just like it was at that commit. But then if you wanted to push this to someone else who has the new history, it would fail.

git-reset --hard <commit-hash>

or use this to just go to specific commit, and keep your changes after this as uncommitted

git-reset --soft <commit-hash>

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events