Moving from Windows to Mac

I'm moving from Windows to Mac and have SourceTree on both. My SourceTree on Mac has recognised my repository (stored on other cloud storage) but it is saying that many files are new and have changes, when in fact they don't. I'm guessing that this is because Mac file system looks like a new version of the repo? Can I safely commit these to Bitbucket or should I be doing this another way?

Thanks for your help.

3 answers

1 accepted

I'm not quite sure, but this looks like a CarriageReturn/LineFeed issue ...

To avoid future trouble with this, you should have a look at "AutoCrLF" in https://git-scm.com/book/tr/v2/Customizing-Git-Git-Configuration and at .gitattributes

OK, I will look into configuration options. Thanks.

It's also possible the file permissions differences are being detected on Mac. 

When you are working on your local development environment, sometimes you need to change permissions on various files. If any of those files are being tracked by Git, then Git thinks there has been a change to the file but in reality it was simply a permissions change. To ignore these changes, go to Terminal in the root of your git repo and type:

git config core.filemode false

From now on git will ignore any filemode changes!

Written by
 Danny Englander

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

729 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you