Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive slowdowns after running SourceTree for the first time

kplaneta June 25, 2017

I'm a new user of bitbucket and I have a problem with SourceTree I cannot deal with. Hopefully you can help? Below is a detailed description of the problem I'm dealing with.

After installing Source Tree and opening for the first time I was asked for email and username. Fine. However, after I did that my PC experienced massive slowdown (constant CPU Usage from 25 to 70%, unable to click anything in ST without "App unresonsive" notice in Windows, etc.). Please mind, that at this time I haven't created any project nor repositories yet

This is what I've noticed so far.

1. I have one tab opened in ST main window named with my username.
2. The "unstaged files" list had a huge number of files (over 30k) that, what I later found were the files in my C://Windows/Users/Username folder. I also noticed there such files as gitconfig or bash_history
3. In Project's "Settings" > Advanced > I ticked off both options, e.g. "automatically refresh..." and "refresh remote...". And the CPU usage went back to normal.
Since I need to use BB and ST I would like someone to tell me:

1. Why a default project popped out in my ST after I turned it on for the first time?
2. Why did it point at my Windows/User/Username folder?
3. Why are there these extra files?
4. How to delete this project - it always pops up when I open ST
5. What does the "Project Folder" link option in Tools > Options > General do? I changed it a few times and it doesn't seem to do anything. Is it only for this single project or for all project in ST? I'm confused since I'm guessing there can be many projects but this option is in general configuration options of ST and not in "Settings" marked with a cogwheel on the right hand side of the ST window).

Any hep would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 29, 2017

Hi Krzysztof! From your description it looks like you might have a git folder inside your username folder. This will make SourceTree believe that this directory is a repository and will attempt to open it, unsuccessfully. 

Can you check your username folder and make sure there's no git folder in it? If you find the git folder, you can simply delete it.

Let us know how it goes!

Best regards,

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events