Long filenames can't be staged with error 'did not match any files'

In the config file, my longpaths variable is set to true which is the main suggestion for solving filename too long issues. all the files are over 260 characters if using the full local path, but the path used by git is only about 200 characters. 

for example, the below path is 204 characters, but can't be staged. 

fatal: pathspec 'Networking Interface/Assets/MixedRealityToolkit-Unity-master/MixedRealityToolkit-Unity-master/Assets/HoloToolkit/UX/Resources/Models/Cursor/Cursor_move/CursorRingAnim/Cursor_Ring_Drag_From_Hold.anim.meta' did not match any files

the error does say that it did not match any files, so is it possible that my issue is unrelated to filename length even though there are several different problem files, all of which have 260+ characters?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote
Mikael Sandberg Community Champion Dec 19, 2017

Do you get the error from within Sourcetree? Have you tried to stage the file from the command line? I found this issue, SRCTREEWIN-1781, when doing a quick search on the error.

ok, I had seen that post but wasn't familiar with the command line git, and hadn't tried the command listed there. It seems to work now that I've tried the command line but only through there. thanks!

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

567 views 1 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you