Long filenames can't be staged with error 'did not match any files'

Eric Wilson December 19, 2017

In the config file, my longpaths variable is set to true which is the main suggestion for solving filename too long issues. all the files are over 260 characters if using the full local path, but the path used by git is only about 200 characters. 

for example, the below path is 204 characters, but can't be staged. 

fatal: pathspec 'Networking Interface/Assets/MixedRealityToolkit-Unity-master/MixedRealityToolkit-Unity-master/Assets/HoloToolkit/UX/Resources/Models/Cursor/Cursor_move/CursorRingAnim/Cursor_Ring_Drag_From_Hold.anim.meta' did not match any files

the error does say that it did not match any files, so is it possible that my issue is unrelated to filename length even though there are several different problem files, all of which have 260+ characters?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2017

Do you get the error from within Sourcetree? Have you tried to stage the file from the command line? I found this issue, SRCTREEWIN-1781, when doing a quick search on the error.

Eric Wilson December 19, 2017

ok, I had seen that post but wasn't familiar with the command line git, and hadn't tried the command listed there. It seems to work now that I've tried the command line but only through there. thanks!

Like nshchelkunov likes this
1 vote
Gabriel Lee May 17, 2020

I would recommend you to use LongPathTool to resolve issues regarding filename being too long. It worked for me.

0 votes
Frank Gleg July 19, 2020

The best suggestion that I can provide for this type of issues is LongPathTool. Best of luck.

0 votes
Juan Miller July 18, 2020

I suggest you try Long path tool is the very good program for easily delete, copy & rename long path files, error, unlock solution.
Try it and solve your problem.

0 votes
Kurt Jackson November 19, 2018

I would like to suggest you, try “Long Path Tool” program to resolve this issue. This tool is very helpful to resolve the issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events