Launch external merge tool does not actually launch anything

Yeah , I know , I read all the previous questions and supposed answers .

1. Common answer - Merge tool is not configured properly somewhere deep in the git configs . If I liked editing configs and command lines  , I would not be using Source tree , and anyway , how does one verify that the entries copied from some obscure blog actually work (in my case it is pretty clear they don't). Is there clear explanation where the Source tree gets the merge tool command , what file , what tag etc? 

a. System Windows 8.
    b. tool WinMergeU.exe
    c. lines entered in the global .gitconfig 
    [diff]
    tool = winmerge
    [difftool "winmerge"]
    name = WinMerge
    trustExitCode = true
    cmd = "C:/Program Files (x86)/WinMerge/WinMergeU.exe" -u -e $LOCAL $REMOTE
    [mergetool "winmerge"]
    name = WinMerge
    trustExitCode = true
    cmd = "C:/Program Files (x86)/WinMerge/WinMergeU.exe" -u -e -dl \"Local\" -dr \"Remote\" $LOCAL $REMOTE $MERGED
    [merge]
    tool = winmerge

5 answers

1 accepted

In most cases, SourceTree just wraps around git commands. In this case, git difftool.

You shouldn't have needed to modify the git config file. The SourceTree Options dialog includes a section for configuring your diff tool, and WinMerge is one of the preset options.

If the tool is not launching, it's possible that a local git config file is overriding the global difftool/mergetool preferences.

I just had this same problem after an update. External diff melted. I looked in my users dir .gitconfig and something had happened to the command line. There were 3 of them and 2 of them were only partial. The setup options in source tree did not work to fix the issue. hand editing the gitconfig to just have the correct one line diff tool did.

Having the exact same issue since the last update. I had Meld all configured for both diff and merge purposes, but it stopped working suddenly. The tool just doesnt start, even though nothing change in the configuration.

I even tried modifying the gitconfig. Now even Visual Studio opens up meld for diffing, but SourceTree just doesnt do anything.

I even managed to verify this yesterday on my home computer. Before the latest update, Meld was starting as expected with External Diff. Right after update to the latest version, it simply stopped working. It seems there is something wrong in the latest version.

Sounds like it. You can report a bug at jira.atlassian.com

thank you Seth for the response , I did enter the information , but that was not an issue - issue is the troubleshooting of the undocumented behavior of SourceTree. Do you know how they read the files , where the information is coming from , how do they launch the merge tool ? I did try multiple suggestions from the forum , but seeing the "Visual Merge In Progress" dialog ( which does absolutely nothing) for the 100th time draw me absolutely mad yesterday.

So, firstly, which merge tool have you installed? Which operating system are you running (how to configure command line calls obviously is very different between Windows and Max)?

What have you done so far to try and get the merge tool configured? If the answer is nothing, that's fine. However, you don't seem to be the kind of person that likes being told to try things that are "obvious", so I'd rather start where you've left off.

I just noticed that DiffMerge in Mac creates a wrong command. edit your .gitconfig and change the path to the correct app folder `/Applications/DiffMerge.app/Contents/MacOS/DiffMerge` .. it should work afterward

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

241 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot