Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest notified update for Embedded GIT to 2.17.1.2 does not install update GIT-LFS

Christopher Whittemore June 14, 2018

Related to this issue the currently notified update to GIT does not appear to install when updated through the Tools > Options > Git > "Update Embedded" 

It downloads PortableGit-2.17.1.2-32-bit.7z.exe

After extracting and restarting SourceTree the Embedded GIT still shows 2.17.1/LibGit2Sharp 0.24.0 + git-lfs v2.0.2 and notifies that an update to Git-LFS is available.

2 answers

2 votes
Christopher Whittemore July 9, 2018

The following approach to "reinstalling" the embedded git thanks to@Nathan Niesen worked for me:

1. Exit SourceTree
  2. Delete `%localappdata%/Atlassian/Sourcetree/git_local`
  3. Start SourceTree
  4. Chose to install embedded git when SourceTree complained about not finding it.
0 votes
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 20, 2018

Hi

Can you check the version of Git_LFS.exe in %localappdata%/Atlassian/Sourcetree/git_extras? Is that the 2.0.2 version?

Sourcetree should remove that copy.

Alternatively is it possible you have another copy of Git-LFS installed independently but visible via your PATH?

Jeroen Brattinga
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 25, 2018

I'm experiencing the same issue. There's no Git_LFS.exe in %localappdata%/Atlassian/Sourcetree/git_extras and no other copy visible via my PATH (typing git_lfs just gives me a "not recognized" message).

Is there anything else I can check?

Jeroen Brattinga
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 25, 2018

I've found the problem already (of course right after posting my question first :-) )

I found 2 versions on my system:

• %localappdata%/Atlassian/Sourcetree/git_local/mingw32/libexec/git-core contained v2.0.2
  • %localappdata%/Atlassian/Sourcetree/git_local/mingw32/bin contained 2.4.2

Disabling the first version (by renaming the file to .NOT) solved the issue.

Nathan Niesen July 9, 2018

Thanks @Jeroen Brattinga! I had the same issue with the embedded Git and the "A newer version of git-lfs is available" and found that my `Sourcetree/git_local` also had the duplicate `git-lfs.exe` files with dates that didn't match the other files in the "distributions".

Since there were other files with old dates as well I took the following approach to "reinstalling" the embedded git:

1. Exit SourceTree
  2. Delete `%localappdata%/Atlassian/Sourcetree/git_local`
  3. Start SourceTree
  4. Chose to install embedded git when SourceTree complained about not finding it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events