Is there any way to turn off file preview / diff on a file or file type in Windows version 1.6.14.0

Lucas Dreyer March 30, 2015

This question has been asked before, but the solution isn't valid for my version of SourceTree (latest Windows version as of this post). My problem is simply that the diff pane doesn't work for large files and it slows SourceTree to a crawl. I would like to disable it for some files/file types, or just disable it completely. The solution was the following:

"Use the Diff panel in preferences, edit filter by file type"

I can't find a filter by file type in the diff panel in preferences. Is there another way to do this?

3 answers

1 vote
Markus Ursinus March 30, 2015

Hello Lucas,

so far as i know there is no way to filter files in the way you need. But to turn the diff off, you can try to set the maxnumber of files to zero on the diff panel in the preferences.

Cheers

Markus

Lucas Dreyer March 30, 2015

Thanks, that worked for me!

James Podesta March 9, 2016

I have the same issue.  But turning off diff altogether means I can't code review.

Have to toss up between waiting 10 seconds every time the file is selected, or losing code review...

Since this is a year later, I'm guessing there is no chance for a fix or feature...

0 votes
Lucas Dreyer March 31, 2015

As I said in my post: "My problem is simply that the diff pane doesn't work for large files and it slows SourceTree to a crawl". So it's a performance consideration, although I'm temped to call it a bug because my SourceTree can become unusable if I work with large files. I have a fast computer already, the only other thing I can do is put the repo on a SSD and see if that helps.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2015

Why are you turning the diff off? Is it just a performance consideration, or is it a filetype where diff is useless anyway (a binary file like .jpg, .pdf, or .exe for example)?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events