Is there any limit for submoduls in a repository?

I try to build a repository with 110 submoduls. I added 91 and now i can't see any of them in the sourcetree window …

3 answers

0 vote

Hi

There shouldn't be any limit.
We tend to test using https://github.com/boostorg/boost.git which has ~130 submodules.

Where you adding the submodules through Sourcetree? 

Can you post a screen shot?

Good morning,

the screenshot shows 3 windows: part of ».gitmodules«, part of files and part of the sourcetree-window – not showing one of the modules …

Now I tried to remove (delete) the repository to take it as a new one. I got all the folders, but all of them empty. If a clone one of them, I recieve the files – but it looks like I have to reorganize it all new …

Ulrike

Hi Ulrike

The behviour you describe is correct, By default Sourcetree will no longer automatically clone all the submodules. This is due to the following security issue in Git.

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2017-1000117

You can re-enable to option in the Sourcetree preferences.

Mike is correct, you'll find this setting in Preferences -> Git -> Perform submodule actions recursively

Brian Ganninger
Senior Mac Developer, Sourcetree

Good morning,

thanks for your answers, I changed my preferences. Because nothing changed, I built a new repository and added all my submodules. I can see them until I had to delete one (context menu). Then the list of submodules disappears …

The entry in .gitmodule was deleted, but the folder not. I deleted the folder by myselve and pushed. It looks ok – on my computer. If I pull this on a second computer I get an error. Somethong like: Difference between Folder and .gitmodule …

Ulrike

Thanks for the update I've created https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-8313 to track this.

Now I know the workflow:

I had to delete the folder first, than to delete the entry in the .gitmodule via sourcetree. Than everybody has to delete the folder and after that to pull the new commit.

The list of submodules is OK than, but I had to talk physically to everybody, who uses the submodule-repository.

greetings

Ulrike

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

275 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot