Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an offline installer for Windows version of SourceTree?

Jay Barra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2013

I am not able to run the installer on computers I would be installing it on because they do not have any connection to the internet. Where can I download a full installer for SourceTree for Windows?

18 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2013

EDITED 8th May 2013

We're now testing a new single-file installer that will work offline: http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/SourceTreeSetup_0.9.2.3.exe

Please try this if you were having problems with the ClickOnce installer, this should be much more straight forward. The only caveat is that if you don't have .Net 4.5 already installed, you will have to be online for the installer to download & install it, or otherwise you must download the .Net 4.5 stand-alone installer yourself beforehand (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5a4x27ek.aspx).

robert-bartlett March 20, 2013

This installer does not work for me.

'An error occurred trying to download "http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/SourceTree.application".'

It looks like it is still trying to call home.

Jay Barra
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2013

I had the same issue, won't install or run. I've given up and am going to keep using our current tool for the time being.

Gregory Loichot March 24, 2013

Same problem here...

Tim Naish March 24, 2013

To install from the zip file provided, you need to do the following:

1. Unzip the contents of the zip file to a temporary location.
  2. Run the SourceTree.application (not the setup.exe).
  3. Click Install when prompted.
  4. Once ClickOnce has done it's thing, SourceTree for Windows will start and add itself to the Start Menu etc.
  5. Remove the files extracted in Step 1.
Alex Robinson April 7, 2013

I'm getting a 404 Not Found on that download link. Is there a new one?

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2013

I've fixed the link, sorry.

robertlagrant February 7, 2016

Is this feature still supported? Where's the latest link?

1 vote
Jeroen Wolff April 9, 2013

Hi, i've tried to use the latesed download 0.9.0.6b, but SourceTree.application still tries to connect to the internet which is not available on that machine (vmware image)

Do i something wrong? I don't use setup.exe but the SourceTree.application (ClickOnce Application) from the root of the zip file. Also tried the SourceTree.application from the Appication Files\SourceTree_0_9_0_6\ but no luck...

Regards,

Jeroen Wolff

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
Windows : 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)
Common Language Runtime : 4.0.30319.17929
System.Deployment.dll : 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
clr.dll : 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
dfdll.dll : 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
dfshim.dll : 4.0.41209.0 (Main.041209-0000)

SOURCES
Deployment url	 : file://oeprow01/oeprow01.USR/wolfj09/Mijn%20Documenten/Desktop/SourceTree_ManualInstall_0.9.0.6b/SourceTree.application
Deployment Provider url	 : http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/SourceTree.application

ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* Activation of \\oeprow01\oeprow01.USR\wolfj09\Mijn Documenten\Desktop\SourceTree_ManualInstall_0.9.0.6b\SourceTree.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ Downloading http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/SourceTree.application did not succeed.
+ The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
* [10-4-2013 10:09:52] : Activation of \\oeprow01\oeprow01.USR\wolfj09\Mijn Documenten\Desktop\SourceTree_ManualInstall_0.9.0.6b\SourceTree.application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [10-4-2013 10:09:52] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (Unknown subtype)
- Downloading http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/SourceTree.application did not succeed.
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadManifestAsRawFile(Uri& sourceUri, String targetPath, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirect(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.FollowDeploymentProviderUri(SubscriptionStore subStore, AssemblyManifest& deployment, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
--- Inner Exception ---
System.Net.WebException
- The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.
- Source: System
- Stack trace:
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
No transaction information is available.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2013

Do you have .Net 4.5 installed already? It might be trying to download that. You can grab the .Net 4.5 installer here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5a4x27ek.aspx (be sure to grab the Stand-Alone Redistributable)

1 vote
Jan Zieschang April 3, 2013

The problem is download of third party components, even if they are included in the package. Did not get it working in our environment.

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
	Windows 			: 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)
	Common Language Runtime 	: 4.0.30319.17929
	System.Deployment.dll 		: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
	clr.dll 			: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
	dfdll.dll 			: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
	dfshim.dll 			: 4.0.41209.0 (Main.041209-0000)

SOURCES
	Deployment url			: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Tools/SourceTree.setup/Application%20Files/SourceTree_0_9_0_4/SourceTree.application
	Deployment Provider url		: http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/SourceTree.application
						Server		: Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat)
	Application url			: http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/Application%20Files/SourceTree_0_9_0_5/SourceTree.exe.manifest
						Server		: Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat)

IDENTITIES
	Deployment Identity		: SourceTree.application, Version=0.9.0.5, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=81acde56111400aa, processorArchitecture=msil
	Application Identity		: SourceTree.exe, Version=0.9.0.5, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=81acde56111400aa, processorArchitecture=msil, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY
	* Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY
	Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
	* Activation of C:\Program Files\Tools\SourceTree.setup\Application Files\SourceTree_0_9_0_4\SourceTree.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
		+ Downloading http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/Application Files/SourceTree_0_9_0_5/tools/7za.exe.deploy did not succeed.
		+ The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
	No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
	There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
	* [04.04.2013 11:22:46] : Activation of C:\Program Files\Tools\SourceTree.setup\Application Files\SourceTree_0_9_0_4\SourceTree.application has started.
	* [04.04.2013 11:22:47] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
	* [04.04.2013 11:22:47] : Installation of the application has started.
	* [04.04.2013 11:22:47] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.
	* [04.04.2013 11:22:51] : Found compatible runtime version 4.0.30319.
	* [04.04.2013 11:22:51] : Request of trust and detection of platform is complete.

ERROR DETAILS
	Following errors were detected during this operation.
	* [04.04.2013 11:22:52] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (Unknown subtype)
		- Downloading http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/Application Files/SourceTree_0_9_0_5/tools/7za.exe.deploy did not succeed.
		- Source: System.Deployment
		- Stack trace:
			at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
			at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
			at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDependencies(SubscriptionState subState, AssemblyManifest deployManifest, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri sourceUriBase, String targetDirectory, String group, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
		--- Inner Exception ---
		System.Net.WebException
		- The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.
		- Source: System
		- Stack trace:
			at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
	No transaction information is available.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2013

The only 3rd party dependency we have is the .Net 4.5 framework, which if you're on Windows 8 you already have but if you're on Windows 7 you might not. The installer for that can be downloaded from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5a4x27ek.aspx (be sure to grab the Stand-Alone Redistributable) which should prevent the need for any extra dowloads in the SourceTree installer.

But if you look at the report, there it tries to get 7za from atlassian site. I did make sure, I have .NET 4.5 is installed.

Downloading http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/Application Files/SourceTree_0_9_0_5/tools/7za.exe.deploy did not succeed.

Any workaround or idea. It does not matter whatever I try the setup, or the .application. Could you provide a version without ClickOnce?

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2013

Hmm, you should actually find that file inside the offline installer archive, which should be used if available ahead of the downloadable version. I'm not sure why this works for some people and not others. Did you extract the whole archive with all the folder structures and run the setup from there?

We're considering switching to a non-ClickOnce approach in future given the problems some people are having, but this won't be for a little while since we'll also need to come up with a replacement auto-update system too.

Brandon Barlow April 3, 2013

I would assume that most of the folks who need the offline installer actually *can't* use auto-update even if it was available.

I will give it another try tomorrow. I will report back. Afaik, I unzipped all and run the application package.

In general I click once installers/applications are nice for applications, but within some companies there are tough restrictions on internet access, therefore good to have a portable version as well.

Thanks for ideas.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2013

I would assume that most of the folks who need the offline installer actually *can't* use auto-update even if it was available.

Yeah, but from a support perspective we'd prefer not to be deploying using 2 completely different technologies, and there have been some other intermittent problems with ClickOnce even for people who don't have connection restrictions which we'd like to eliminate at the same time if we do this. It's a fairly small percentage of people but they add up.

JDFagan April 28, 2013

I'm getting a similar error stack trace as Jan was, but in my case, I get a 503 server error instead of a 404 forbidden error when trying to download 7za.exe.deploy. Note, I have good access to Internet from within my company. My error seems to indicate an issue on Atlassian server side with the 503 code I'm getting..

ERROR SUMMARY
	* Activation of http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/SourceTree.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
		+ Downloading http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/Application Files/SourceTree_0_9_1_2/tools/7za.exe.deploy did not succeed.
		+ The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 29, 2013

http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/Application Files/SourceTree_0_9_1_2/tools/7za.exe.deploy seems OK to me - one thing we've seen in the past is that content checkers at companies sometimes block certain elements of the download, because the ClickOnce installer stores things just as renamed files (so that's actually just 7za.exe renamed), and sometimes exe files can be rejected by filtering systems. We'll probably move away from ClickOnce eventually because of this kind of issue (and other proxy problems).

0 votes
Kjell Tore Aspeslåen June 25, 2015

Any update on this? We also need an updated version of SourceTree where we can do "offline install".

0 votes
nicolai_hanssing October 6, 2014

CAn we get an updated offline installer that includes .git and .hg runtime distributables.

I tried to do it by manually downloading the files the installer was trying to access, but this is very cumbersome, and did not work for .git-runtimes.

Regards

Hanssing

0 votes
Jeroen Wolff May 13, 2013

Yes!!! That new 0.9.3 one works great for us!! Thanks alot

Keep it up smile.png

Brandon Barlow May 15, 2013

Multiple folks have mentioned 0.9.3 - has that been released yet? Steve's link above still lists 0.9.2.3.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2013

This is a typo, the public version today (16 May 2013) is 0.9.2.3. 0.9.3 will be released next week and will be the first update to be distributed through the new installer.

0 votes
Carl Letourneau May 9, 2013

Dang, so much work, and I just realized Mercurial is not supported yet in the Windows version :(

Looking forward for that feature!

Jay Barra
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2013

Yeah, I should have posted that earlier. I thought I had it working at home where I do have access to the internet but I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't read my repos.

It's useless to me until it supports Mercurial.

0 votes
Brandon Barlow May 9, 2013

Excellent - looking forward to trying it out. Will post results.

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2013

Please see my edited top answer with the link to a brand new single-file installer if you have had problems with the ClickOnce installer for any reason. Provided this works for people we'll move to this as the standard install mechanism, so please let me know if it works OK for you.

Mike May 7, 2013

The offline installer didn't work, but manually fetching the .NET installer and then installing Source Tree did. However, when I try to register Source Tree, I again run into the problem of needing an Internet connection.

The machine on which I develop software is not Internet-connected, nor will it ever be. It is my understanding that, at some point, Source Tree will stop working if it is not registered.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2013

Yes, as noted in the post if you're completely offline you'll need to download the standalone .Net 4.5 installer yourself since for size reasons we don't include it. If you have both of those you can install offline.

As for registration, the online registration is easiest but you can go to http://sourcetreeapp.com/register/ on a different machine, follow the links to sign up and register there, then download the license file. You can then use the 'Import License' button in the Register dialog to import that file to register.

Carl Letourneau May 8, 2013

This new version (0.9.3) worked like a charm. It seems we have a problem with the proxy since no one is able to install the online version in here.

Thanks again!

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2013

Thanks for letting me know. We're going to make this new one the default shortly.

Michael Hall May 9, 2013

Worked perfectly, although it did trigger a UAC when installing to a location which I have write access to, which I didn't expect.

Oliver Wilton May 13, 2013

Big thanks for this. In April I was asked to deploy SourceTree to over 100 PCs, with more possibly to follow. After struggling with the one click installer I got distracted by some other work. Thankfully procrastination paid off and you guys released a new installer. I extracted the MSI and had a lovely easy automated deployment!

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2013

@Oliver: You're welcome! Really glad it helped.

@Michael: About the UAC prompt, this is because the MSI will figure out that you're on Vista+ and it's possible to escalate privileges to allow everyone to see the install rather than just you, so it just goes ahead and asks, it's an automatic thing right now. I might add an extra step to the install in the future to allow you to pick whether to just install for yourself instead if you're non-admin to avoid the UAC prompt.

0 votes
Mike May 7, 2013

I'd love to use SourceTree, but the lack of an offline installer is a deal-breaker.

0 votes
Carl Letourneau May 5, 2013

Tried the "online installer" with no luck eventhough I can access the Internet.

Offline installer also gives me the same error :

ERROR SUMMARY

* Activation of C:\Users\carl\Downloads\ST\Application Files\SourceTree_0_9_2_2\SourceTree.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

+ File, openssh_add.cmd, has a different computed hash than specified in manifest.

Windows 7 64bits, .NET 4.5 Framework installed.

0 votes
Michael Hall May 2, 2013

Is there a version for 0.9.2.1? Note I couldn't get the previous installer to worth either, but got the app running by renaming all the .deploy files.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2013

I've updated the main link above to 0.9.2.1. We're investigating switching to alternate installer tech at the moment.

0 votes
Brandon Barlow April 3, 2013

Selecting the 'Use embedded git' option seems to also trigger a (large) download of PortableGit.7z from somewhere (can't recall the link away from my desk).

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2013

Yes - because Git is very large on Windows we don't include it in the package, we'll use whatever Git you have installed by default or if you have none, allow you to download one automatically if you like (a portable git zip which doesn't require installation). If you don't want this you can install Git yourself from any of the offline installer packages (1.7+ recommended though).

0 votes
Brandon Barlow March 29, 2013

Neither the online nor offline installer worked for me. Sometimes, it will actually get to the 'Would you like to download an embedded version of git', which I need (and select), but doesn't appear to work. It looks like the app gets installed to Atlassian\SourceTree, but launching it does nothing.

We finally were able to get it to install using the offline version. We had to download and install msysgit, then direct the SourceTree installer to use that (instead of embedded git). After installation, we were then able to go to Tools->Options->Git, and click the 'Use embedded Git' button.

This installation solution is clearly a (terrible) workaround. Our team needs a standalone installer, preferably bundled with its embedded version of git. Anything else is likely going to prevent our company from using SourceTree with our Stash instance.

0 votes

From windows uninstall menu, you can also restore source tree previous state... that works for me.

0 votes

It there an old version we can install?

0 votes
Torben Rydiander March 21, 2013

We need the offline version as well. I agree about the trouble with new version but that is our life with all software for our client Workstations.

0 votes
Jeroen Wolff March 19, 2013
Thanks, we've also needed this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events