Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to disable auto-staging of changes to files?

Kevin Scroggins September 11, 2017

I've noticed ever since the 2.x release that any changes to already committed files show up as automatically staged, which is a new and undesired behaviour for many reasons. Is there any way to disable this? I've already looked through all of the settings and searched around but haven't come across any solutions whatsoever. Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 11, 2017

Hi
Sourcetree should not be auto-staging any files. Are there any other git related processes running?

Kevin Scroggins September 11, 2017

Nope, I did figure it out though! Looks like the default staging mode for git was switched off of split view staging, which was super confusing at first. Switching to split view staging separates my current changes from what I have staged again by the looks of it. Thank you for the prompt reply though!

Deleted user December 28, 2018

@minnsey I am seeing this happening, too.  I have solution with number of project in it, I added about 10 new classes and modified 2, 3, but SourceTree (and git status from terminal) are showing probably about 200-300 files as being staged. 

Staged area in SourceTree shows files I added/modified in my work branch and files I have not touched at all.  All show with green + icon

Unstaged area in SourceTree is showing files I added or modified as it should be but they all show as yellow ... icon.  No files show as not being added at all although I never issued git add command.

This has been reoccurring issue

minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 25, 2019

Hi

This is a bit of a guess but could it be whitespace/newline handling cause so many apparent changes?

see https://www.git-scm.com/docs/gitattributes for more details

Deleted user January 28, 2019

@minnseyPossible but not sure how do I confirm/find that out?  Thank you

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events