Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible for a remote repo to store files with their original format?

Yordan Ramshev August 16, 2018

I want to find a way for my bare repository (which acts as my remote that I host on my own server computer) to store the actual working files as a working file, not the compressed version when I push them in.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 21, 2018

Hi Yordan, welcome to the Community!

This question is not about any Atlassian product, but about how Git works. If you want actual working files, then you need a working repo, not a bare one:

What is the difference between a repository created using the git init command and the git init --bare command?

Repositories created with the git init command are called working directories.

Repositories created with git init --bare are called bare repos. They contain no working or checked out copy of your source files. They store git revision history of your repo in the root folder of your repository instead of in a .git subfolder. 

Why use one or the other?

Well, a working repository created with git init is for… working. It is where you will actually edit, add and delete files and git commit to save your changes. 

A bare repository created with git init --bare is for… sharing

I extracted that definition from What is a bare Git repository, I recommend reading the full article for a better understanding. 

Hope that helps!

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events