Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install SourceTree from AppStore or from direct download

David Potter October 24, 2012

When setting up my current machine SourceTree was only available from the website, so that's how I installed it. Even paid for a license (and happy to do it). I'm setting up a replacement machine and have to decide whether to go the same route or install from the App Store. The fact that it is free in the App Store makes that a very attractive choice. However, I noticed that the version I'm currently running is 1.5.5.1 but the version on the App Store is 1.5.3. So it looks like the direct download path would give me updates a LOT more quickly. Is that a reasonable analysis? If I want quicker updates, install from the website, if I'm not as concerned about that, install from the App Store?

I suppose this is the bottom line question: How often do you intend to update the app on the App Store?

Thanks,
David

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2012

I always recommend the direct version. It receives updates faster, and isn't limited by the App Store rules so we don't have to turn off features like installing command line tools and other useful things that Apple think people don't want.

In any case, we may not be able to post updates in the App Store forever - Apple keep changing the rules and although they accepted 1.5.3 after they added Sandboxing, we have no idea how many additional updates they'll accept beyond this - technically you're only allowed to post bugfixes to existing apps if they don't have sandboxing enabled, but sandboxing breaks a number of features. So, updates may stop on the App Store at any time (they haven't even reviewed any of our updates for a month, 1.5.4 was never looked at and 1.5.5 is now awaiting their pleasure).

The App Store was a great idea, but the latest changes basically break it for power tools, that's why a number of those kinds of apps have left it in recent months.

David Potter October 25, 2012

Thanks for the very complete message. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for trying the App Store route. I'll download from your site and keep moving :-).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events