Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install SourceTree doesn't work

John Bagagem October 12, 2017

I had SourceTree v2.3.1 installed (Windows 10 64bit)
For some reason it stopped working this morning - click on .exe wouldn't open and Event Viewer shows errors.
I uninstalled it, downloaded the latest version and tried installing it. In the install process, I get to the "Altassian Account" step, a new pop-up shows but is empty (image below)

Capture.PNG

So basically, can't install SourceTree. Me needs help

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 13, 2017

Hi John! This issue has already been reported in our bug tracker at SRCTREEWIN-7244. There are a few workarounds listed in the comments, there's one specially that seems to be working for most of the users so I'll copy it here for you:

From a working install collect the accounts.json and passwd files.

Delete the Atlassian folder from the AppData/Local directory for your user. Run the installer for 2.3.1, close it when you get the blank login window. Place the account.json and passwd files into the Atlassian/SourceTree folder. Rerun the installer. It should detect the account and password from those files and bypass the request for a login.

Some users shared other tips too, so you might want to check this Community thread

Let us know if it worked for you :)

Cheers,

Ana

John Bagagem October 16, 2017

Hello @Ana Retamal, thank you for your feedback. However, this proposed solution didn't work.
I currently have SourceTree v 1.7 installed.
There are "hostedaccounts.xml" and "passwd" files. I did the following:
- made a backup of these 2 files as suggested;
- uninstalled sourcetree;
- installed latest version;
- got to the blank sign in screen;
- exited setup;
- copied the backed up files into "...Atlassian/SourceTree" folder;
- reran the setup of the latest version;

Still see the empty screen. Have there been any developments with this issue? Is there a patch in the works that will be available soon?

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2017

Hi @John Bagagem, are you using the right files? I mentioned accounts.json and passwd however you wrote hostedaccounts.xml and passwd, I'm not sure if this was a typo on your side or you used the wrong one.

Once you uninstall Sourcetree, make sure that the AppData/Local is gone. Apart from this step, for some users it was also necessary to make compatibility changes to IE. You can try turning off Compatibility mode in Internet Explorer, the instructions can be found here.

After that, continue with the rest of the steps:

Run the installer for 2.3.1, close it when you get the blank login window. Place the account.json and passwd files into the Atlassian/SourceTree folder. Rerun the installer. It should detect the account and password from those files and bypass the request for a login.

Note that in order to be in compliance with the Atlassian EULA you must ensure the email address used in the file is valid, yours and associated with a valid Atlassian account.

Our developers are currently working with the id.atlassian.com team to implement a proper fix. In the meantime the workaround is needed.

If after following these instructions it still doesn't work for you, check if you're able to log into https://id.atlassian.com using IE (it has to be tested via Internet Explorer because the WPF Web View component Sourcetree uses relies on Internet Explorer under the covers).

Let us know!  

Cheers,

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events