Incomplete file listing when merging (Mercurial)

Barry Weinstein November 23, 2011

Very simple question. I'm sure I'll feel silly when I get an answer :-)

The following is consistent behavior when I'm merging with Sourcetree. Suppose the source of the merge involves a bunch of files where each file has a significant delta. Invariably only a single file is listed when I select my revision to merge in the merge dialog.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2011

I'm not sure which view you're referring to here - do you mean when you select a revision in the log, before you hit the merge option, or after you've merged but before you commit? I've never come across any unexpected behaviour in either of these areas so I need to understand exactly what you mean - a screenshot would help.

Barry Weinstein November 24, 2011

Hi Steve,

Here's a link to a screencast

http://www.screencast.com/t/2t0h09GiZ

It's the very last screen that is in question. When I'm offered to "Pick a revision to merge:" I chose C2. The dialog seems to indicate only a single file will be merged and only gives the delta on that file. However, if I follow through on this merge three files will merge with conflicts as expected.

Regards,

Barry

Barry Weinstein November 30, 2011

Was this a silly question? I only noticed the behavior when I was doing a very complicated merge. I just decided to review the candidates for the merge after clicking on merge but before clicking on OK. The display wouldn't allow me to finalize my choice amongst the candidates. I almost made a choice which would have been wrong based on what the display was telling me.

Any comments at all would be appreciated.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2011

Not a silly question - sorry for the delay, I'm on holiday right now so only checking in every few days.

I looked at the screencast - the issue is that the divider on the view below has been forced off to the left so you can only see the diff view. This is probably because the view is so small. The view is actually split just like the regular log view at the bottom into a file list and diff view section. If you place your mouse pointer at the left edge of the bottom area, you should be able to drag the divider back again. SourceTree remembers the divider placements but it could just be that this one was squashed so much it got lost at the edge. I use a thin divider to avoid wasting space but the downside is that it's hard to see when it's pushed all the way over like this (which I still allow in case someone only wants to see one of the lower views at a time).

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 1, 2011

FWIW you might find it more convenient just to right-click a commit on the log, or a branch in the sidebar, and select merge from there. You can use the Merge toolbar option too but it just means you get an extra intermediate dialog.

Barry Weinstein December 1, 2011

My faith is restored!! For the screencast I used a very small screen. Generally I use very big windows. I don't know how that divider got pushed to the side. I looked everywhere to find some way to see more and I just never noticed that.

On a side note...I had to help a friend on Windows do a merge. He was using tortoise. After yelling a bit I was reminded how thankful I am for Sourcetree.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events