I still can NOT install SourceTree on Windows 10

HERE IS WHAT I'M USING
==============================

• WINDOWS 10
    • 2017-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4038788)
  • Google Chrome
    • 61.0.3163.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  • SourceTree
    • SourceTreeSetup-2.3.1.0

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
===============================
Download SourceTree for windows
Open downloads folder
Doubleclick to install
The SourceTree logo presents for a couple of seconds, then goes away and nothing else happens.
I then tried Right Clicking and Run As Administrator and received the same thingt

I CAN NAVIATE TO THE FOLLOWING FOLDER PATH:
==========================================
C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\Atlassia\SourceTree

I HAVE THESE FILES
-------------------
FOLDER "analytics_gas_upload"
FILE "opentabs"
FILE "sourcetree"

Here is the text from the "sourcetree" log below
------------------------------------------------
ERROR [2017-09-26 17:52:01,424] [1] [SourceTree.App] [.ctor] - finish EnsureSquirrelExecutionStubIsCopied
ERROR [2017-09-26 17:52:01,937] [1] [SourceTree.App] [OnStartup] - Failed to start
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.SetOwner(NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow, Tuple`2 customAction, VistaTaskDialogIcon icon)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](String title, String message, Tuple`2 customAction, String cancelLabel, String suppressionSetting, Action`1 suppressionChangedAction, Object contentControl, String contentCommandLabel, Action contentAction)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialogWithYesConfirmation(String title, String message, String details)
at SourceTree.Configuration.WpfSpellCheckerPreFlightCheck.Run()
at SourceTree.AppRoot.RunPreFlightChecks()
at SourceTree.AppRoot.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
at SourceTree.App.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
ERROR [2017-09-26 17:56:50,083] [1] [SourceTree.App] [.ctor] - finish EnsureSquirrelExecutionStubIsCopied
ERROR [2017-09-26 17:56:50,207] [1] [SourceTree.App] [OnStartup] - Failed to start
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.SetOwner(NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow, Tuple`2 customAction, VistaTaskDialogIcon icon)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](String title, String message, Tuple`2 customAction, String cancelLabel, String suppressionSetting, Action`1 suppressionChangedAction, Object contentControl, String contentCommandLabel, Action contentAction)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialogWithYesConfirmation(String title, String message, String details)
ERROR [2017-09-26 18:04:02,775] [1] [SourceTree.App] [.ctor] - finish EnsureSquirrelExecutionStubIsCopied
ERROR [2017-09-26 18:04:05,004] [1] [SourceTree.App] [OnStartup] - Failed to start
Dion Halkides
Dion Halkides Monday • edited
If I follow this path...
C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree.exe_Url_3rqrv0jj2kuth1c01slr4bfdolgb0gsv\2.3.1.0
There are the following files...
Startup (PROFILE File)
user (XML Configuration File)
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
<userSettings>
<SourceTree.Properties.Settings>
<setting name="AllowModifyConfigFiles" serializeAs="String">
<value>True</value>
</setting>
<setting name="LastOpenTabIndex" serializeAs="String">
<value>-1</value>
</setting>
<setting name="AnalyticsHasAgreed" serializeAs="String">
<value>True</value>
</setting>
<setting name="NPSAnonUId" serializeAs="String">
<value>00254519-95a7-4b4d-a77e-1ed328419b20</value>
</setting>
</SourceTree.Properties.Settings>
</userSettings>
</configuration>

IF I FOLLOW THIS PATH...
============================
C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree.exe_Url_3rqrv0jj2kuth1c01slr4bfdolgb0gsv\2.3.1.0

I FIND THE FOLLOWING FILES:
---------------------------------------------------------
FILE "Startup" (PROFILE File)
FILE "user" (XML Configuration File)

HERE IS THE TEXT FROM THE "user" CONFIGURATION FILE
-------------------------------------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
<userSettings>
<SourceTree.Properties.Settings>
<setting name="AllowModifyConfigFiles" serializeAs="String">
<value>True</value>
</setting>
<setting name="LastOpenTabIndex" serializeAs="String">
<value>-1</value>
</setting>
<setting name="AnalyticsHasAgreed" serializeAs="String">
<value>True</value>
</setting>
<setting name="NPSAnonUId" serializeAs="String">
<value>00254519-95a7-4b4d-a77e-1ed328419b20</value>
</setting>
</SourceTree.Properties.Settings>
</userSettings>
</configuration>

4 answers

1 accepted

This resolved it for me as a workaround.

Dictionary file blocks Sourcetree 2.3.1 from starting up

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-7898

Description

"...once when I was using Sourcetree v2.1.11, every time I start there is comfirn dialog pop up said some dictionary file is invalid and should delete or not, and I chose not for then.

today I update my Sourcetree to version 2.3.1 and the app just can not start up.

somehow I found a solution: uninstall the version 2.3.1 and reinstall v2.1.11 and start it up, the dictionary file thing dialog shows up again and I chose YES to delete that file and then install the version 2.3.1 and it starts up normally.  ..."

Same here on Windows 10 Pro 1709 "Redstone 3" (Build 16299.15 a.k.a. "Fall Creators Update"). Just a small splash screen and a short progress in the task bar and that's it.

This worked for me...

"...uninstall the version 2.3.1 and reinstall v2.1.11 and start it up, the dictionary file thing dialog shows up again and I chose YES to delete that file and then install the version 2.3.1 and it starts up normally..."

0 vote

On Windows 10 and suddenly couldn't start SourceTree. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I see a small splash screen and the SourceTree icon reappears on Desktop, but nothing else happens. SourceTree won't start up.

I'm having the same issue. I tried to uninstall, but couldn't.  I tried to cleanup the registry, I've deleted all the Atlassian folders, and now when I try to install I get the splash screen and then get the following log in C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree

ERROR [2017-11-01 15:26:32,320] [1] [SourceTree.App] [.ctor] - finish EnsureSquirrelExecutionStubIsCopied
ERROR [2017-11-01 15:26:32,668] [1] [SourceTree.App] [OnStartup] - Failed to start
ERROR [2017-11-01 15:27:04,623] [1] [SourceTree.App] [.ctor] - finish EnsureSquirrelExecutionStubIsCopied
ERROR [2017-11-01 15:27:04,885] [1] [SourceTree.App] [OnStartup] - Failed to start
ERROR [2017-11-01 15:40:17,330] [1] [SourceTree.App] [.ctor] - finish EnsureSquirrelExecutionStubIsCopied
ERROR [2017-11-01 15:40:17,657] [1] [SourceTree.App] [OnStartup] - Failed to start

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

276 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot