Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need an export of all changes/commits/change-log for a repo (and its branches).

hrusha October 24, 2014

... preferably in an easy to follow format.

3 answers

1 vote
hrusha October 27, 2014

Seth, you are correct about what a [cloned] Git repo is. Let me see if I can rephrase my question... Is there an automated way to get a line by line per commit export of changes in a repository into something like a text file that needs to be read by a non-professional. Example: Commit: 70abcde. By: EM. Date. XX/XX/XXXX. File/templates/example.xml +++ ............ --- ............ Commit: 90aabbcc. By: AB. Date. XX/XX/XXXX. File/settings/local.sh +++ ............ --- ............ I realize again that it seems that all I'm asking is what is Git, but I really am not. For example, in a dispute or for managerial CYA I need this info in a format that is 'readable' without just telling someone to go to the repo and look at it themselves. Thanks!

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2014

It looks like this git-log command should do what you want.

git log -p --all

This will be an overwhelming amount of data if you've got a repository of decent size, so check out the git log documentation for other filtering and formatting options. You do need "-p" to get the diff included in the output.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2014

You do realize that you've basically described exactly what a cloned Git repository is: an export of all changes/commits/change-log of all branches in an entire repo. Since you are asking the question, I have to assume that you consider the Git repository format to NOT be "easy to follow", so maybe you should clarify what you want. Pretty much any other format is going to be overly complex, or will be missing large portions of the data you want.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events