Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I lost my repository in a power outage

Aaron Teeter November 15, 2020

I'm completely new to these repositories. I have almost no understanding of how they work, but I've been using them to track the progress for my game.

Today, I just finished making a change when the power went out as soon as I committed the branch. Like within a few seconds after I hit 'commit'. 

I restarted my PC to find that my entire repository is missing. It said the index file was corrupt, so I deleted it for some clown reason, and now I have all the changes logged but I can't commit them because my master branch is gone, and I can't create any more branches, because it just says this:image.png

I'm sorry I'm so new to these so I can't provide much useful information. I don't know how to fix this on my own so I don't know what I would even try. I need help

1 answer

0 votes
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2020

Hi @Aaron Teeter ,

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

First off all - do you have any remote repository connected to your local repository (when you commit something, do you then push it somewhere or not?)

Are you able to see all your code in your IDE? Are there any problems with the code's files or just with the git?

Which IDE do you use?

Thank you!

Aaron Teeter November 16, 2020

I was using it for a Unity game. Since I'm so new to any of this I didn't have a remote (or even know how to make one), but I was able to delete the corrupted repository, create a new one, and then create a Bitbucket remote for the new repository, which I now use.

I ended up losing my previous repository which I'm fine with because it was pretty much entirely my fault. But the entire game was fine, I didn't lose anything.

Sorry for the dumb question

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events