• Community
  • Products
  • Sourcetree
  • Questions
  • I keep getting this message “SourceTree” is damaged and can’t be opened. Delete “SourceTree” and download it again from the App Store.

I keep getting this message “SourceTree” is damaged and can’t be opened. Delete “SourceTree” and download it again from the App Store.

I keep getting that message, I have removed ~/Library/Application Support/SourceTree and /Applications/SourceTree.app and reinstralled and still get that message.

What should I do?

Thanks

7 answers

1 accepted

Hi Juan,

This is usually caused by the SourceTree.app being modified. I've just tested this myself direct from the App Store and it worked fine. Do note that we no longer publish updates to the App Store (this happened very recently) due to sandbox restrictions so it's better to get it direct from sourcetreeapp.com. Perhaps try the direct download first, and if that doesn't work if you could answer the following:

• Which browser did you use to download it?
  • What OS version are you using?
  • Which version of SourceTree was it?

Many thanks

I am getting this error now as well.. I've not done anything to modify the .app file. I have been using it daily for some time, and went to open this morning and got the message

It works perfectly fine eveywhere but your global applications directory. (Works when I copy the app to ~/Desktop or ~/Applications, but getting the same "is damaged and can't be opened, when I try to open it from /Applications). Fix it maybe?

Same situation. Atlassian, please fix Sourcetree!

Yes, same here. Replacing the ~/Applications/SourceTree.app with a fresh one fixes it for me. But ... I've done this already two times in a single week.

same issue for the second time. intall again fix it

It's 2016 and this issue is still not resolved.. I was using Sourcetree just fine yesterday and now it's damaged or incomplete...

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Oct 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configure your repos for hosting goodness!

Supported Platforms macOS Windows We recently introduced support for additional hosting services such as GitHub Enterprise, GitLab (Cloud, Community Edition, Enterprise Edition), and...

841 views 3 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you