Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How will SourceTree's Git Flow initialization effect my team's existing repository?

Todd Mullen June 9, 2014

I started working with a young company that already has a codebase / Git repository in place. They use the command line for Git and they recently have had a few issues with conflicts / confusion. I was just introduced to SourceTree a few weeks before starting, so I don't know it really and I also don't know much about Git yet. My research into Git and Git workflows suggested that what my PM had been discussing as how we should change / standardize the procedure was nearly identical to what I found for the Git-flow process. I showed it to my PM and he agreed that it was what he was imagining.

I really like SourceTree and have been trying to move to Git VCS. I'm not a command-line user, so I really want to use SourceTree and its built in Git-Flow support. I'm also trying to bring it to their attention, but I'm worried what's going to happen if/when I initialize the Git Flow process (use the button). I see the prompts for branch prefixes, which are similar to what is already in place, but I don't know what will be changed in / about the repository. I don't want to say say "Hey I'm going to use this..." and then confuse the heck out out of the other developers because everything is changed and/or broken.

...In addition, I don't think they'd be interested in converting to or using SourceTree at that point.

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2014

The only thing that happens when you initialize Git Flow is the creation of a local-only config file for Git Flow.

Once it has been initialized, Git Flow simply provides educated guesses about the next step of your workflow whenever you hit that button. It does not remove or restrict any other Git functionality, so you (or your teammates) can continue to create branches or perform merges that do not comply with the Git Flow model using the Branch and Merge buttons.

SourceTree is not required for Git Flow. It is a separate Git extension. If your teammates prefer the command line, I recommend https://github.com/petervanderdoes/gitflow. It is also trivial to follow the git flow model without any git extensions as long as a developer is disciplined enough to stick to the naming conventions.

Todd Mullen June 10, 2014

Cool, Thanks Seth. 8)

I thought that was probably the answer, but didn't want to risk it after searching for the answer and reading about problems people have had. I just didn't want it to rearrange the remote repository, change branch names, or cause people's work to be lost - just set Git up locally to handle my branching processes so that I can focus on coding.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events