Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to you keep antivirus from slowing down sourcetree on windows.

bgf777 April 4, 2018

No, this isn't the standard post about how much worse sourcetree is on Windows (it is), or how annoying it is that it must "install" itself every time you open it in windows (which does take forever).

I've used other software that is too slow to use on Windows (cygwin!), but in most cases I can tell my antivrius software  (bitdefender) to ignore the install folders. That make things usable.

It doesn't seem to work for SourceTree. I've told my antivirus to avoid me\AppData\Local\Sourctree, but the program is still insanely slow (like 30 seconds to do anything).

Does SourceTree "install" itself to some temporary location that also need to be "white listed" for the antivirus?

Just to say something positive, SourceTree for OS X remains a very good program.

1 answer

0 votes
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2018

Hi

Incidentally Sourcetree for Windows shouldn't be re-installing itself each time you run. If you run %localappdata%/Sourcetree/Sourcetree.exe that is the app not the installer and it should just run. If not please let us know.

Sourcetree effectively runs out of 3 locations:

• Its own install folder %localappdata%/Sourcetree
  • The location of git/hg exe, either
    • %localappdata%/Atlassian/git_local or hg_local
    • Or the path of the system git/hg install
  • The location of the repositories
    • since git/hg re-write files in these folders
bgf777 April 4, 2018

well, maybe it doesn't "re-install" itself? It puts up a progress bar, says "downloading", then does dark for 10 seconds, then comes up. Usually as some very small window. and auto update never works. Every now and then I manually download an update, but it never gets any better. And, yeah, my shortcut is to the location you describe.

I'll see if any of the locations you describe an not yet white listed by my antivirus. I  think all of them are, although I have no idea where my "system git" is installed.

minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2018

Ah, I think the window you are seeing is Sourcetree copying some files, probably authentication tools from the installation folder to %localappdata%\Atlassian\Sourcetree\git_extras or hg_extras, there is a small bug that means it does this on each restart, when it doesn't need to. But it is copy from local files not actually downloading and it shouldn't actually effect running Sourcetree. There is a fix in the works.

Sysgtem Git is, if you use the standard installer likely to be in c:\program files\ or c:\program files (x86)\

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events