Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use SourceTree to convert a local folder to a git repo

Francis Barton December 13, 2018

Hi - here is what I want to do. I have a local folder with some files in it (not currently a git repo). I want to use SourceTree to use this folder as the site of a new repo, i.e. do the equivalent of 'git init' and then add the folder as a new remote repo on my BitBucket account. When I tried to do this, by doing "Clone/New... > Create" ,SourceTree complained that the local folder already had files in it.

???

My expectation was that SourceTree would have this kind of job as one of the basic tasks it would be capable of, to make creating new repos easy, without using the command line or going to the Bitbucket web interface. Maybe I am wrong.

What, if anything, am I doing wrong in this situation? Or does SourceTree not after all have this functionality?

Edit: OK so I found this page that covers what I want to do: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/add-unversioned-code-to-a-repository-877177133.html - it would seem that you have to do the git init stuff from the command line; SourceTree can't do this for you. I don't mind the command line at all, I just thought that SourceTree would save me the trouble.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2018

Hi Francis! 

I see you found your answer already. Sourcetree won't be able to initialize git repositories, you'll need to do that on the terminal and then Sourcetree will be able to work with them.

Have a good day!

Ana

Francis Barton December 19, 2018

Thanks Ana.

Is this a feature that SourceTree will be able to have in future, or is there some conceptual reason why it won't ever be able to do the init thing? It would be a helpful feature, I feel.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events