Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use SourceTree to allow server side repo storage

By Z February 24, 2015

I created a new repo in my local pc: C:\Temp\RepoDemo which has the .git folder and a text file. What I am trying to do is create a server side folder and have the ability to push my local repo to the server so another user can pull it and either view it or edit and then push it back to the server.

To achieve that I installed SourceTree in my server and created a blank repo. I am trying to push my local repo to the server and I am getting the following error:

Rd8hT.png

The server setup is:

sOYlE.png

My main goal is to setup a folder in the server1 server to store all repositories created and user can pull/push/commit based on the remote location connected.

2 answers

0 votes
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2015

The clean way to achieve this is to

• create an empty repo on the server,
  • clone that to your machine,
  • copy the text file into the clone folder,
  • commit locally and then
  • push the commit to the server.
0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2015

It sounds like you are trying to push an new repository to an existing remote repository without cloning or checking out from the remote first. That would explain the errors you are getting, which are trying to prevent you from overwriting existing history with commits that are in no way connected to existing commits.

By Z February 24, 2015

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty much trying to create a new repo in local PC and wanting to push the same repo in the server, so another user from a different machine can download it and make changes and push the changes. Am I doing it wrong? Am I using the wrong product?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events