Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop "The 'python3' command requires the command line developer tools" prompt?

Rob Bl January 13, 2024
  • Mac 13.5.1
  • SourceTree 4.2.6

For about the last month, ever time the app launches, I get this:

Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 18.29.52.png

I have zero interest in installing command line tools and I don't know what the "python3 command" is. (I just edit strings in HTML, and use SourceTree for pull/push from the repo.)

Any ideas how to turn off whatever it is in SourceTree that's causing this?

Edit: Also happens when opening Settings, so I've managed to find this:
Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 18.46.57.png

But I'm in over my head as I don't know what Mercurial is. Any reason to not Use System Mercurial? If I'm reading right, that might solve the problem.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2024

Hi Rob,

Mercurial is a source control management system - it does the same job as git, Subversion, CVS, Perforce, Clearcase and so on.   Differently of course, but it's the same basic idea - track changes in files.

If you're not using Mercurial, you can ignore the prompt to change it.  

It has nothing to do with the request for Python.

Sourcetree uses Python for some functions you are trying to use, so it needs it installed.  All the install will do is take up a little bit of disk space, you don't have to use it for anything.  It's the same as me having powerpoint installed on my mac because people sometimes send me emails with ppt files attached.  I'll never use it myself, but my email program will trigger it when I click on the files.

Rob Bl January 15, 2024

Thanks, Nic. Last time I downloaded CLDT, Xcode came with it and the two of them ate up multiple GB. And there's no way to see how big CLDT is going to be before downloading. :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events