How to solve "Too many invalid password attempts" error?

Hi,

I started using SourceTree mac version with BitBucket account a few months ago. Since the first day I constantly saw the following error message when doing any git related tasks:

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false -c credential.helper=sourcetree fetch upstream

remote: Too many invalid password attempts. Try logging in through the website with your password.

fatal: unable to access 'https://yz@bitbucket.org/myrepo.git/': The requested URL returned error: 403

Completed with errors, see above

I've tried searching for solutions but had no luck. Some old threads mentioned it's a server side issue and was solved. 

Current workaround is to go to Accounts and log in again everytime the error pops up.

Lately the error pops up more often than usual. Could you help me with this?

Thanks!

5 answers

0 votes

Hi Yuli, have you already tried login into Bitbucket using the web interface?

If after that you're still getting the error, navigate to id.atlassian.com in your browser with your email, and password - please make sure to NOT use the Google login form, and instead use the basic email/password fields. You may be asked to go through a captcha screen, or even reset your password if necessary.

Once you get logged in properly to id.atlassian.com, try your GIT operations again and please let us know if the issue is solved for you.

Best regards!

Ana

Hi Ana,

Thanks for the solution! It works so far. 

Logging into id.atlassian.com didn't do anything for me - still seeing the 403 errors from sourcetree.

This was only on the Sourcetree UI, after a recent update to 2.1.10.0.

git pull from command line works fine.

I've the exact same problem.

Any solution?

going to id.atlassian has unfortunately not helped 

only 1 other person says it worked is there a particular browser that will help . I have authenticated with both chrome and IE 

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Its more of a constant bandaid that you have to do all day in order to use SourceTree. Do you only have the option to login using a gmail account as well? I can confirm that when I could add my account over basic https, this never happened but that isn't the case anymore and that is not an option (only OAuth via google).

0 votes

I'm experiencing exact the same problem.. Every 2 or 3 commits I have to login on id.atlassian.com to work around this problem..

Was getting this as well, however the id.atlassian.com fix was not working fro me at all. I added my Bitbucket account into SourceTree and voilá I was able to connect and push.

I am still getting this problem as well. I can't access my repos over HTTPS now, even if I enter the correct password. Is there a real fix for this? I've added my account to SourceTree and I still can't access over HTTPS.

This is getting very tedious.

I'm having the same issue now. I can't access my repos at all through Sourcetree. I have:

• Logged in to atlassian, as requested
  • Validated with two-step authentication through Sourcetree (it takes me to Atlassian, says I'm good)

And just keep getting denied with too many invalid passwords. 

What is up? I AM logging through the company's third party service, and it says I need to ensure I have an account password in my profile... where is that? No idea... I know it worked last week. 

Please help!

I'm having this issue as well again. I had it at my previous company and now at this new company I am at. The common theme is they both use google for authentication. Every few git operations (sometimes EVERY operation) returns a 403 and I can navigate to id.atlassian.com (must be EXACTLY this URL) and it'll log me in and i MIGHT be ok for a few more git operations. I have my bitbucket account in sourcetree via OAuth and there is no way to log in without using my gmail account. I have no idea what is up and this is EXTREMELY frustrating and time consuming to have to constantly do this operation. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

261 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot