How to set up Sourcetree

I am migrating from Smartgit 3. In Smartgit I can pull (and push) from Github without problems.

In Sourcetree I can read from my local gits, but for some reason I cannot pull (or push) from Github.

Any idea what I can have done wrong in setting this up? I tried removing Sourcetree and reinstalling but it remembers everything from before the new install.

3 answers

1 accepted

A little more description of the problem would be helpful. Are you able to click the push/pull buttons? What happens when you do? Are there any error messages in the interface?

Yes, pull button was clickable. It was an authentication problem.

Two other problems. It won't allow me to use my SSH key. When I try to add it it asks for the passphrase and then tells me the passphrase is wrong.

Other problem is I am tracking two remotes. One of the remotes is a copy of my local and the other is pretty different. I want to cherry pick off this remote and incorporate the changes into my local. How do I do it? So I maybe want to pick 5 commits off this remote and have them show up as one merge on my local.

Please post your questions as new questions, not as an answer to an existing, unrelated question.

Also, accept Daryl's answer if it helped you.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

545 views 1 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you