How to search by filename?

Thiago Lima December 1, 2016

I'd like to search by filename in my branches. Today is possible the search by message commits, file change and actors, but is not possible by filename. Someone know tell if it is possible make this search? I'm using the SourceTree in version 1.9.6.2.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2016

You are correct, it's not possible to use the search tab to do what you want.

There is a two-step process that can get you there, but only works for one file at a time:

1) Find the file you want in the "File Status" tab using the search bar on that tab:

image2016-12-2 8:5:50.png

2) Right-click the file, and select "Log Selected...".

Thiago Lima December 2, 2016

My difficulty is exactly this, find the file after commit, by tab "Search". Ideal would be have also a search input in tab "Search" for find files. I hope whitch implemented in future versions. Thank you @Seth.

0 votes
thinsoldier
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2016

Not possible. What I do is go to the command line and save the entire git log to a text file. I can then open the text file in a text editor and use the find feature there. The great thing about this is the log will also contain the file names of files that were deleted.

git log --name-status --decorate > _commit_dump.txt

Text file will contain stuff like this:

commit 30183ea616eeb2d6cc442f90e5d638fd2c07c372
Author: thinsoldier <thinsoldier@thinsoldier.com>
Date:   Sat Jul 2 21:47:15 2016 -0600

Refactor "wifi security" page code to have the main code run only after the device list has been fetched, and move some styling out of css and into stylesheet, and add a column to the device table that will be used later to show status

M    global.css
M    mac-address-list.php
M    wifi-security.js
A    migrate/017-add-device-status.sql
D    iframe-test.html

M = file was modified

A = file was added

D = file was deleted

lucbloom May 29, 2019

That's not a great thing, that's a GUI shortcoming. When I search for a file in the main window, I expect a list of commits involving that file. If I want a list of commits that only shows the changes to that file (to make searching in large commits easier), I can use the current search function I guess.

Feature request: make the search box available for "commits containing this filename". I never search for author or hash.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Thiago Lima December 2, 2016

I want to know what the changes were in the searched file. Like this when is searched by actor the changes are showed. Sorry for my English.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 1, 2016

Are you wanting to search for a list of commits where a certain file has been changed, or just find the file itself?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events