How to resolve merge conflicts?

Rolf Marsh January 4, 2015

I had a branch that I needed to split into two (main branch: 3.2.0, new branch: 3.1.2 which was created by using "checkout".  I made my changes to the new branch and now I want to merge 3.2.0 into 3.1.2.  So I did a merge and now I have 3 files with "conflicts":

Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 1.31.14 PM.png

So, I look at each file on the right of SourceTree and I see this:

Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 1.32.31 PM.png

What do I do with this?  What I would like to do is put this file(s) into an editor where I can make the changes.  I don't understand why the other 20 files made it through without any "conflicts" and these three did not... or do I have more of a mess than is showing?

I think your app SourceTree is a god-send... don't know what I would do without it, but I think I really don't understand Git that well to be able to do this on my own.  Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Rolf
Prager, Phone Apps

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2015

First of all, please do some reading in order to understand what a merge conflict is. Afterwards, you need to do the following:

1. Install a diff tool that can do 3-way merges, for example KDiff3.
  2. Configure this to be your external diff/merge tool in SourceTree (in Tools/Options/Diff).
  3. In the place where you took the 1st screenshot, right-click on a file, Resolve Conflicts\Launch External Merge Tool
  4. Repeat the previous step for each conflicted file.
  5. Commit (and push) your changes.
Rolf Marsh January 6, 2015

Balazs:  boy, that (KDiff3) is one hell of a tool... thank you so much... I appreciate it.

murraycollingwood January 20, 2019

A) I have tried reading the documentation on a merge conflict - it is terrible documentation with lots of explanations but no examples.  Doesn't really work for a visual learner.

B) Step 2 - there is no Tools/Options/Diff.  There is a Preferences option with a Diff tab, but there are no instructions about what to type in the command areas!

C) The "Resolve conflicts" option is not appearing anymore.

This may have been a good answer 4 years ago - it's not really helpful now.

Like pgopalakrishnan likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events