How to remove .svn from my git repo?

NancyMilligan August 5, 2015

I didn't have my .gitignore files setup before I committed my project. Now all my .svn/* files are being committed. How can I expunge these files from my repo and tell git to stop tracking them (using SourceTree)? Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2015

Doing as @sreekumar menon mentioned, the .svn is still part of your history - but will not be part of the future history.

If you want to remove your svn-folder permanently from your complete history, have a look for example at this:

https://help.github.com/articles/remove-sensitive-data/

sreekumar_menon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2015

Thanks for the link- this worked for me - git rm -r --cached some-directory git commit -m 'Remove the now ignored directory "some-directory"' git push origin master also add it to .gitignore.

sreekumar_menon
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 9, 2015

Johannes link will remove it from entire history, if you don't care about appearing in history the above should work.

0 votes
sreekumar_menon
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 5, 2015

In file status view, select all files, and you may right click on the file/folder and select stop tracking within sourcetree and add it to .gitgnore.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events