How to prevent multiple authentication attempts?

renecum_cignium June 13, 2019

My company has a security policy that blocks an account after more than 3 failed login attempts. 

I have a lot of repositories that were using the same old stored credentials, and now that I've changed my password if I attempt a pull before changing the credentials for the repository I get my account blocked because Sourcetree always attempts to authenticate 4 times. 

Image 2019-06-13 at 2.02.59 AM.png

How I can set Sourcetree to attempt only once?

1 answer

1 vote
bgannin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 13, 2019

Hi @renecum_cignium,

You can't change this directly. I recommend changing your authentication settings for each repository by deleting the Keychain entries and letting Git prompt you again for them. Or simply cloning fresh if there are no local changes. Hope that helps a bit.

Brian Ganninger
Principal Developer, Sourcetree 

renecum_cignium June 14, 2019

Hi @bgannin thanks for your reply but this doesn't help much. I have about 45 repositories, and even after I have deleted my keychain credentials some of the attempt to authenticate when I open them in Sourcetree and my account is blocked again.

How can I add a feature request to fix this?, This is not the first time that I need to change my password, every three months I got the same problem since we are forced to change the password once every three months. 

bgannin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2019

Authentication as a whole is on the list for review. You can log a feature request for "migrating credentials for all repositories" here.

Jeff Irwin May 4, 2021

Has this been addressed yet? I am in the same situation at my company... three login attempts and I'm hosed.

The solution sounds simple enough in theory, but gets complicated in a hurry when using a number of different machines (like I do). If I forget that one of the machines has not been updated with the new password, then the next time I use it... BAM! And now I need to update all my repos on this machine with the new password, and also the repos on all of my  other machines as well.

jan.paija July 29, 2021

This needs to be addressed. Using AD authentication, it can't just keep spewing failing login attempts, as this locks accounts quickly!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events