Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to migrate SourceTree and Git to another mac and have everything there???

Paul Levin February 11, 2019

All we have at this point is a timemachine backup of a macbook pro that had SourceTree working about 6 months ago.

We are trying to restore everything needed to have SourceTree working like it was on that macbook pro.  I am still looking for how to get the credentials and settings for our remote git repository.  Yep, we do not have the password nor login name for that repository any more.  Yet I know that macbook pro had it configured so all I would have to do is run SourceTree.  I would not have to login to anything.

Where are all the files I need to get this configured and working?

3 answers

1 vote
Richard Quadling July 15, 2020

After a horrendous beer spillage, I'm in the process of carefully restoring only the elements I need temporarily to a spare MBP.

From my TimeMachine, I'm VERY VERY carefully pulling files from :

/Volumes/TimeMachine/Backups.backupdb/<MachineName>/Latest/Macintosh HD - Data/Users/<UserName>/Library/Application Support/SourceTree

And when I say carefully .... only start doing this sort of thing if you fully accept all responsibility for messing things up.

For example, I thought I'd created the same name on both MBPs. I hadn't. So I'm editing the paths to fit.

Just be careful. Don't go blindly accepting everything without validating/checking/having a new Time Machine backup in play/etc.

0 votes
Paul Levin February 12, 2019

Can someone provide an actionable answer to my question?

0 votes
bgannin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 11, 2019

Hi @Paul Levin,

Sourcetree for Mac uses a combination of methods to store all the items you asked about.

1. "Repository Settings" are stored in the local copy of the repository, you'd need to restore that and then update to the latest commit

2. Registration for the app is stored for the current user, restoring that should restore the appropriate files

3. Authentication requires a combination of Keychain items and encrypted files in the user's Application Support directory. Restoring both of those should bring back the authentication if all the other items are back in place. 

Hope that helps.

Brian Ganninger
Principal Developer, Sourcetree

Can you please give me specific paths and filenames?

SourceTree has the old computer's paths for each local repository.  There are about 40 of them.  Where can I easily change the root part of the path for the new computer, for all of the repositories?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events