How to install Sourcetree command line on Windows

Does anyone know how I can install Sourcetree command line in a Windows machine ? I am using version 2.1.x and unlike the mac version there is no menu to install the command line tools.

Is this something that is taken out in version 2 or something that has been installed by default ?

I have tried calling sourcetree.exe from windows command prompt but windows is then telling me that sourcetree has stopped working. Calling stree like in Mac gave an unrecognized program error. Therefore I am assumming that Command Line tools is not something that is installed by default.

1 answer

0 vote
Gary Sackett Atlassian Team Aug 28, 2017

Hi TInus,

By default, this is part of GIT, or HG.  As long as you have GIT, or HG installed, then you just have to click Actions >> Open in terminal, and we will launch either the isntalled GIT terminal, or HG terminal.

Cheers,
Gary

Hi Gary

Thanks for the clarification. However this means that the current implementation for command line is useless for me since I wanted to be able to run sourcetree from a command line window.

In Mac after installng sourcetree command line I am able to open terminal and type in stree -f<folder path>. This will invoke SourceTree and automatically prompt me with the Create Repository dialog. My team need to be able to do something similar in their windows workstation.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

798 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you