Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get the commit messages into the source code automatically

Trading October 13, 2019

(I have posted this in the bitbucket forum also - I hope duplicates are permitted)

For purposes of easier debugging and understanding of the code, I need and ability to automatically record any of commit comments into the source file that is being committed. These can be appended either to the top of the file or to the bottom.

I recall that this was a feature provided by a source code management tool that I was using about 15 years ago. However, I do not see this as being a part of git. Is it possible to achieve this using any feature of source tree?
Or, can this be achieved by any workaround
Thank you for any inputs

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 14, 2019

Hello!

This is a great idea, to be able to include your comments within your commits. If you’re using BItbucket then smart commits are available to include your Issue key and comments. If you’re using Jira and the Bitbucket and Jira are integrated then this will also show your commit message within the Jira issue. Further information on this may be found at Use Smart Commits.

If this is not the information you’re looking for, please reach back out and let us know.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events