Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get SourceTree to stop making 'false' changes to files?

Jelissa Tycksen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 19, 2014

I found about 2 or 3 of the same question on google, one from this site, but I can't find the answer I'm looking for. I've had this problem with SourceTree since my company started using it, it'll say in uncommitted changes that I've made changes to files when I haven't even touched that file, sometimes EVER in the history of that file's creation.

I'm setting a new branch up on a new computer and it has a ridiculous amount of 'changed' files. Normally I just discard changes I haven't made before I commit, but holy geez, when I say a lot, I mean A LOTTTTT. With the amount that it is it's going to start getting really annoying going through and remembering which files I touched and which I didn't.

Can anyone give a simplified-ey-ish answer on how to get this to stop? I can't start marking files as ignored because I honestly don't know if I would ever need to make a change and how to reverse it. (SourceTree knowledge on a scale of 1-10 about a 1.2)

Help?

1 answer

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2014

It is probable that the changes are white-space only (line endings, if there are different OSes modifying files).

See if this helps: http://git-scm.com/book/ch7-1.html#Formatting-and-Whitespace

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events