How to do a consolidated diff in Sourcetree

slaughton January 20, 2019

Hi there,

In SVN I can log a top level project directory, then type the ticket number (we put ticket number in the description of all commits for that ticket) into the filter box, and it will list all commits for that ticket.  In the lower part I can see all the files that were added/modified/deleted for the ticket.

I can then do a consolidated diff on a file where it takes all the changes made over the duration of that ticket and consolidates them into a single diff.  Then I can jump through to each change and review the code.

How can I do this in Sourcetree on Windows?

I have tried to work this out but these are the issues I have come up against:

• The Search tab doesn't allow you to select multiple commits.
  • The Log / History tab does allow you to select multiple commits but you see all the files for every commit in between the ones you selected, not just ones for the commits you selected.  This is useless if you trying to review code as other devs may have done commits in between your commits.

Thanks for your time.

1 answer

0 votes
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 25, 2019

Hi

I think the approach you outlined is the closest to what you are looking for. Can you remove the clutter of other commits/branches by restricting the log view to the current branch only?

slaughton January 28, 2019

We have come from SVN so at the moment everyone is developing in the develop branch (TRUNK in SVN speak) so filtering out other branches doesn't really help.  Once we adopt git flow and everyone is in their own feature branch it will be easier for peer reviews, but still you will have the issue of historical code and wanted to look up an old ticket to see all the code changes done in that ticket.  I guess thinking about they should all be in a single merge using the gitflow methodology.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events