How to determine changes available with source tree?

Michael Grabenstein June 29, 2012

I am using a mercurial repository with Source tree. How can I find out if there are changes available before I pull ? Expecting there is a way to tell if I am at tip or not before the pull.

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
MikeL July 1, 2012

Just curious: how do you prevent collisions with user-triggered commands? The last time I've tried a git fetch and performed another, local command which I don't remember, my repository got screwed up...

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2012

Both git and hg hold lock files on the repo data so that parallel commands can't screw each other up like this, so this shouldn't happen. The one case where I've seen it occur is when trying to use a repo via a SMB share, which can't fulfil the requirements reliably. But using a repo on a SMB share is generally a bad idea anyway.

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2012

SourceTree periodically checks the default remote in the background (10 mins by default, it's configurable in Preferences), and if there are incoming changes a count is displayed on the Pull toolbar icon, and also alongside a down arrow icon in the Bookmarks view.

Otherwise, when you hit 'Pull' from the toolbar, you get a display of 'hg incoming' before you click OK so you can preview the changes that way too.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events