How to change the username on the login form when cloning a repository on Source tree

Alexandre Roba July 31, 2014

How to reproduce:

-On windows start Source tree

-Click on Clone/New

-Paste a Git Repo URL on the destination then click on the Destination path Textbox

-The authenticate form will show up

-Fill in a WRONG username (In my cas it was an invalid email address)

-Provide a password and check remember

-Find out it was not the right email address by clicking on Login....

Now every time I try to clone the same repo the authenticate Form shows up with the WRONG email address grayed out. I can only provide a different password. I cannot change the Username!!!!

I try to restart Source tree, UNInstall Source tree, but all previous settings stay and the Invalid Email address is still there after a full Uninstall/Reinstall....

How can I remove this and provide another Username?

Thanks for the help

4 answers

7 votes
mbeining February 1, 2017

Actually I found the solution!

In the source tree installation folder (in my case it was under "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree") there are two files named "passwd" and "userhosts". There your bad names are saved. I closed SourceTree, deleted those two files, restarted SourceTree and then the fields were blank again =D

Fernando Vega Morales February 9, 2017

worked 100% thanks a lot

2 votes
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2014
  1. Open the Options dialog from the Tools menu.
  2. Change to the Authentication tab.
  3. Edit your details for the server you are cloning from.
1 vote
Angela Lengkeek November 25, 2016

None of these suggestions helped solve the problem. The problem exists in 2016 still.

mbeining February 1, 2017

Problem still exists in 2017, at least on Windows...

0 votes
Spencer O'Reilly August 10, 2015

I found the "remembered" bad username under SourceTree > Preferences > Network. Just removed that and now I can enter my own username again.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events